[Solved] Bidirectional shared clipboard does not work when VM started from command line

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
TVG

[Solved] Bidirectional shared clipboard does not work when VM started from command line

Post by TVG »

Hi all,

The bidirectional shared clipboard works fine when I start the VM from the graphical Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager. However, it doesn't work if I start the VM using this command line:

Code: Select all

vboxmanage startvm $MY_VM_NAME --type separate > /dev/null
Host: Ubuntu 23.04
Guest: Windows 10

Thanks for your help.
Last edited by TVG on 11. Aug 2023, 15:34, edited 1 time in total.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Bidirectional shared clipboard does not work when VM started from command line

Post by mpack »

I don't know if this is the correct answer (I'm not enough of a Linux guru to know that), but... a clipboard is a feature of a GUI. If starting from the command line means being disconnected from a GUI then yes, the clipboard will not work.

I note that "--type separate" effectively means to start the VM in headless mode, so I would regard that as being, by definition, disconnected from a GUI.
TVG

Re: Bidirectional shared clipboard does not work when VM started from command line

Post by TVG »

Yes, it seems you're right. I have removed "--type separate" from the command line and the bidirectional shared clipboard is now working fine. I don't think I need that option. I've simply copied and pasted the command line from somewhere. Many thanks!