After rebooting the host machine, the USB drive should still be listed in the VirtualBox driver

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Lacko

After rebooting the host machine, the USB drive should still be listed in the VirtualBox driver

Post by Lacko »

Welcome to all dear forum members

Because of special software, I still have to use the Windos XP operating system. So I installed it under VirtualBox. Basically it works fine. However, for this specific software there is a hardware key on USB stick. When I plug it into the host machine it is nicely recognized by VirtualBox and I can add it in the controller, it works fine.

I have a filter set to always add it.

But when I restart the host machine, unfortunately it doesn't show up in the VirtualBox driver at all. I have to disconnect it and then reconnect it to make it usable again. This is very cumbersome.

Is there any workaround for this, so that even after restarting the host machine, the USB drive in question is checked there in the Tools > USB menu?

The filter seems to only solve that it should always be unchecked.

Many thanks for all the help
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: After rebooting the host machine, the USB drive should still be listed in the VirtualBox driver

Post by mpack »

When you say "reboot the host", do you actually mean that you rebooted the guest? Otherwise your post makes little sense to me.

The host is the PC that donates the resources - your physical PC. The guest/client PC is the VM that uses those resources.

Also, all support queries should be accompanied by a zipped VM log. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.