Copy paste not working in VB 7.0.10

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
nexturejohn

Copy paste not working in VB 7.0.10

Post by nexturejohn »

I have been using VirtualBox for many years on a Windows 10 host, with a Lubuntu 20.04 environment. I was using version VB 6.1.46, with the Extension Pack, and GuestAdditions, which I need to resize windows and for copy/paste from and to the Windows host.
On upgrading to VBox V7.0.10, while the re-sizing still works, I have been unable to get the copy/paste mechanism to work.
- if I keep GuestAdditions 6.1.46 on VB 7.0.10, the copy/paste works
- as soon as I upgrade GuestAdditions to 7.0.10, the copy/paste no longer works
- if I then manually force GA 6.1.46 again, the copy/paste works again.
Any ideas? It looks like a GA problem (I use VBoxLinuxAdditions.run to install GA).
The major difference between 6.1.46 and V7 is the python installation, but I don't install the python parts in any of the VB releases, and so do not include this in the installation. According to the various forum comments I have seen, python is not needed for simple installations like mine, where I basically only use VB to provide a UNIX environment on my PC for web development. I do need though to be able to copy and paste between the two environments.
FX8370core

Re: Copy paste not working in VB 7.0.10

Post by FX8370core »

Does the guest have the kernel headers installed for the kernel running?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Copy paste not working in VB 7.0.10

Post by scottgus1 »

FX8370core may have something, here. Guest Additions have prerequisites in Linux, same as Virtualbox on the host, see https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04. ... ions-linux and https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch02. ... nux-prereq

If following these instructions does not restore proper operation, please post a VM log:

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. In the "Logs" subfolder, zip the VM's "vbox.log", and post the zip file, using the forum's Attachments tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions so you can find the "vbox.log", not "vbox.log.1", etc.)