Network slow in one direction after 7.0.8 upgrade

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
StepaRiley

Network slow in one direction after 7.0.8 upgrade

Post by StepaRiley »

I'm having a similar problem, but I think it applies in both directions. I have gone back and forth between 6.1 and 7.0, and when using 6.1, I can transfer files at 100MB/sec to other machines in the network, whereas when I install 7.0.10, it drops to about 100KB/sec. I don't have Nested VT-x/AMD-V enabled. The host is a beefy XEON server running centos7 and the guests are running ubuntu 22 or centos 7. The os of the guest doesn't seem to matter.

I can attach the vbox.logs from before, and during the upgrade, and then the subsequent downgrade.
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
(95.46 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
StepaRiley

Re: Network slow in one direction after 7.0.8 upgrade

Post by StepaRiley »

Also, I can't reproduce this problem on a desktop system:
Desktop system:
cpu: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K
network: Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2500 Gigabit Ethernet Controller

Rack server:
cpu: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 v4
network: Intel Corporation I350 Gigabit Network Connection
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

The 6.1.46 "downgrade" log wasn't taken while the VM was shut down, so it is missing some of the diagnostic data the other two logs have, which the forum gurus may need.

However, this:
StepaRiley wrote: 4. Aug 2023, 17:32 I can't reproduce this problem on a desktop system:
could possibly indicate a network driver incompatibility with Virtualbox Bridged. It has happened before.

Is the Xeon's network driver up to date?
StepaRiley

Post by StepaRiley »

Ethernet drivers are not up to date. I'll have to see about that.
StepaRiley

Post by StepaRiley »

So, finally managed to upgrade network drivers on that host to the latest from intel.

Reinstalled VirtualBox 7.0, and I still see the network slowdown. Nothing changed. Reverted to 6.1 and the network goes back to normal.
Linux_man

Post by Linux_man »

Same problem here on a Manjaro host running on an 11th Gen Intel NUC, using latest VirtualBox 7.0.10-2

The VM guests (using Bridged Network Adapter) have extremely slow upload speeds, especially Windows Server VM, only about 600Kbps up which makes VNC / Remote Desktop painfully slow.

I haven't tried an older VirtualBox V6 as I need to keep these VMs running.
Last edited by Linux_man on 2. Sep 2023, 21:02, edited 2 times in total.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Thanks for the feedback.

Since this happens on some hosts but not others, at least in StepaRiley's case, it may not be a problem caused by Virtualbox. However, it could be an incompatibility between Virtualbox's Bridged driver and the host OS or drivers.

@StepaRiley A Bugtracker ticket may help. Post full VM logs for the failing and working hosts, so the devs have something to compare.

@Linux_man, if you have another host you can compare with and the other host works well, you may want to add onto StepaRiley's ticket or make your own.

Please post your ticket links here.
StepaRiley

Post by StepaRiley »

Ok, thanks. I will submit a bug report. I feel it has to be something that changed in 7.0 with respect to my particular network hardware.