guestcontrol fails in 7.0.10, works in 7.0.8

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
drawson

guestcontrol fails in 7.0.10, works in 7.0.8

Post by drawson »

I'm running VirtualBox on OpenSUSE 15.4 Leap with only Windows guests. I have a long-running configuration (years!) with a Windows 7 guest that uses a batch file to start a Windows app (Adobe Digital Editions) with a couple of parameters. This batch file worked correctly in 7.0.8 and fails in 7.0.10

The full guestcontrol command is:

VBoxManage guestcontrol Win7 --username xxxxxx --password 'xxxxxx' run --exe 'C:\apps\tcc\tcc.exe' --no-wait-stdout --no-wait-stderr -- tcc.exe '\/H' 'G:\win7\ade_one.btm' 'F:\vm\URLLink.083155.acsm'

tcc.exe is a replacement command processor for Windows, but trying to run cmd.exe with the same command-string also fails in 7.0.10; the "/H" parameter starts it as a hidden window, but the command also fails without that parameter.

Note that the command-line is run from a shell script which starts the Win7 machine if it's not already running.

Both log files (7.0.8 and 7.0.10) are attached

Any hints / suggestions?

Thanks!

Dan
Attachments
vbox_logs.zip
(78.01 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: guestcontrol fails in 7.0.10, works in 7.0.8

Post by mpack »

Is there an error message? Have you checked what happens if you launch the 7.0.10 VM and run the command manually?
drawson

Post by drawson »

No error message.

Should have put this in the original message, sorry! The guestcontrol command HANGS indefinitely (well, I waited 30 minutes :-)) on 7.0.10. Ctrl-C on the host kills it, but (sometimes) it leaves the exe command running on the guest, but not visible on the desktop. Unfortunately, this does not happen every time. The 7.0.10 log file that I attached was an instance where the exe command was NOT left running on the guest following the Ctrl-C on the host
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Just looking at your log, I think one thing you need to do is update the Guest Additions (currently 6.1.28), otherwise it hardly makes any sense to discuss a "new" GAs problem.
drawson

Post by drawson »

This appears to be a problem with both the virtualbox version AND the Guest Additions .... After much testing:

Virtual Box 7.0.8
  • 6.1.28: guestcontrol command works
  • 6.1.44: Works
  • 7.0.6: Fails
  • 7.0.8: Fails
  • 7.0.10 Fails
Virtual Box 7.0.10: guestcontrol command fails with ALL GA versions.

Obviously limited to the GA versions I still had on disk :-) The failure mode in all cases is the same as originally stated - the guestcontrol command simply hangs indefinitely until I use Ctrl-C on the host - no error messages.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

FWIW, the Changelog of VirtualBox 7.0.10 mentions:
- Guest Control/VBoxManage: Fixed parameter "--ignore-orphaned-processes"
- Guest Control/VBoxManage: Fixed behavior of how handling argument 0 for a started guest process works: One can now explicitly specify it with the newly added option "--arg0". This will effectively restore the behavior of former VirtualBox versions