Virtualizing centos 8, 9 and rocky linux x64, x32 for M2 processor

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
IRM_7

Virtualizing centos 8, 9 and rocky linux x64, x32 for M2 processor

Post by IRM_7 »

Good afternoon,

For work I got a macbook pro m2 pro and I need to virtualize centos 8, 9, rocky linux 9 x64, x32 bits ..... know approximately when you can solve this problem because today we can not virtualize x64 and x32 bits.

thank you very much
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Virtualizing centos 8, 9 and rocky linux x64, x32 for M2 processor

Post by scottgus1 »

Please see M1/M2 Mac 7.0 Beta Status.
XP is the latest Windows OS reported working on the M1/M2 beta. More modern Windows won't run yet. Similar limits in Linux.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

If this task has been assigned to you by your work, then perhaps ask them how they anticipated that you would run complex Intel code on an ARM-cored processor?
IRM_7

Post by IRM_7 »

definitely we are not going to be able to virtualize centos x64 or x34bits in virtualbox with an M2.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

You might pull off a low-demand 32 bit Linux. Not much bigger than that.
IRM_7

Post by IRM_7 »

Due to my work and projects, I need to virtualize x64 and x32bit architecture in M1 and M2 I was assured that it could be done, but we will have to wait for the developers to fix it, I am sure they will get it reliably, what I was asking is if it will be in the short or medium term.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

IMV: it won't happen at all. It's pie in the sky. You have the wrong processor, end of.

If someone assured you that it could be done then perhaps ask them for their solution.
IRM_7

Post by IRM_7 »

I doubt that they don't do it since they released a beta which means that they are working on it, unless you know more or are a virtualbox developer, but the first one to do it will get all the benefits since the M3 processors they are on their way
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I am a developer, though not on the VirtualBox project: I don't have to be on the VirtualBox team to know how processors work, and what makes a CPU hypervisor different from a CPU simulator. I agree that the devs releasing a "developer preview" for ARM was a surprise, but I suspect that was a management dictat. I'll believe it's ever going to be workable when I begin reading the reports of happy campers.
IRM_7

Post by IRM_7 »

if you say that it is 100% impossible that they will develop it ok, I know that I have to look for an alternative, thank you very much.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

IRM_7 wrote: 2. Aug 2023, 14:22 if you say that it is 100% impossible that they will develop it ok, I know that I have to look for an alternative, thank you very much.
If I'm correct then you won't find a viable alternative (for the problem of running modern Intel code on M2 processor) - impossible is impossible, regardless of who you approach.

AFAIK, none of the hypervisor platforms available for MacOS on M1/M2 make any serious claims about running Intel code. On x86 MACs they hypervise Intel code. On M1/M2 MACs they hypervise ARM based guests. Otherwise they run CPU simulators of variable quality just as VirtualBox is in the process of doing. Note that VirtualBox does not currently offer an ARM hypervisor option, though one is in development.

And please bear in mind that these are user discussion forums, and I have given you this user's (informed) opinion. I do not work for Oracle and nor do I speak on their behalf. Nor btw do you have any support entitlement, so you should never be taking these discussions as official/support.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

From my POV, UTM (based on QEMU) is your best choice on macOS hosts to emulate x64/x86 code on Apple Silicon currently.

If you want to try VirtualBox on Apple Silicon nonetheless, you should use the latest development snapshot from the VirtualBox test builds page.
IRM_7

Post by IRM_7 »

yes, I used UTM but it takes a long time to emulate and is very slow, the beta virtualization does not work, I have tried but it is impossible to virtualize centos 8.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

To cut straight to the chase, you'll need a different computer to run your needed OS's. The ARM-based Macs can't handle x86 OS's yet.

Per the recommended sticky, the devs are working on the beta, but it is not ready yet for 64-bit.
IRM_7

Post by IRM_7 »

thanks a lot for the information, I hope it will be solved soon.