2 problems in kalililux and VMB. Internet not working after installing vpn and screen freezing when I take a snapshot

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Rhyan

2 problems in kalililux and VMB. Internet not working after installing vpn and screen freezing when I take a snapshot

Post by Rhyan »

2 problems in kalililux and VMB. Internet not working after installing vpn and screen freezing when I take a snapshot. I have to reinstall kali linux every damn time to "fix" the internet problem that appears all the time and I can't fix it, I've already contacted the kali people and nobody helps me or even responds. If you at least give me a light I would greatly appreciate it. And from the freezing I don't know if it's the virtual box or not, I wanted to know if there were problems like this before, I searched on youtube and didn't find anything
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: 2 problems in kalililux and VMB. Internet not working after installing vpn and screen freezing when I take a snapsho

Post by mpack »

Please provide a VM log file. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: 2 problems in kalililux and VMB. Internet not working after installing vpn and screen freezing when I take a snapsho

Post by scottgus1 »

Rhyan, please zip the log file then use the Attachments tab to upload the zip file.
Rhyan

Post by Rhyan »

Sorry for the delay, I had not found
Attachments
kalilinux-2023-07-29-12-56-59.rar
(37.81 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Hmm. I think we may have found the problem right here...
00:01:09.360530 Host RAM: 3909MB (3.8GB) total, 478MB available
00:01:11.475345 RamSize <integer> = 0x0000000078500000 (2 018 508 800, 1.8 GiB)
You can't expect to run a 64bit guest OS in that. That's barely enough for graphics RAM.

The main principle of VMs is to take unused resources on powerful hardware and do something useful with it. Your PC doesn't really have any unused resources. Your host only starts with 4GB total RAM, inside of which you are running Win10-64bit. You could try to free up RAM, but I don't see much scope for that. And the next problem is that you only have two CPU cores.

Sorry, but your chosen PC is simply not suitable for running 64bit VMs. You can still run some VMs, but you need to free up host RAM and severely lower your expectations as to what will run. Let's say: XP running on 2 cores with 256MB or 512MB RAM.
Rhyan

Post by Rhyan »

Hmm, I understand. So in short my pc doesn't have enough ram to run win 10 and the virtual machine?