Crash report: Critical Error on macOS/ARM64 BETA 7.0.9 revision 158223

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Matroid

Crash report: Critical Error on macOS/ARM64 BETA 7.0.9 revision 158223

Post by Matroid »

Hi there!

I just bought a new MacBook with M2 architecture and installed the beta pre-release for ARM64.
When moving my virtual machine (Windows 10) over, the start up appears but then a critical error happens before it moves on from the startup screen. After that the image is corrupted as the virtual Windows machine on a restart shows that it is repairing sth before running into the same critical error.

Attached are the log files.

After working with virtual box on the intel architecture on my old Mac for the past 4 years , I was hoping to just move the virtual windows machine over and be a happy camper. But it seems that the port to the ARM architecture will take some more time before being half way stable? Anyone able to make a guess how long? I only need windows for an financial bookkeeping software which has no MacOS version, but if Virtualbox is no solution soon-ish then I have to look into UTM or stay with the MacOs on Intel architecture (ie buy a used MacBook with Intel architecture).

Thanks for any advice / help.
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
(57.36 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
VBox.png
VBox.png (5.56 KiB) Viewed 1040 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Crash report: Critical Error on macOS/ARM64 BETA 7.0.9 revision 158223

Post by mpack »

No indication that your host is a MacOS pre-release so, topic moved to MacOS hosts.

As to the problem - read the M1/M2 sticky at the top of this new forum.

I don't recommend holding your breath while waiting for "Intel Code running in CPU simulator on ARM" to ever become a practical proposition. Nobody is offering that that I know of.

If it was me, and I was really sold on the idea that ARM was the way forward for business PCs (I am not), then I would try buying a cheap Intel based mini PC and "remote" into it using the MacOS version of Microsoft's RDP client. It should give a similar user experience to running a VM, only much much better performing.