Windows 10 no longer booting up on Ubuntu 20.04-6 LTS (multi-monitor issue)

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
LEW

Windows 10 no longer booting up on Ubuntu 20.04-6 LTS (multi-monitor issue)

Post by LEW »

I am getting a blank (black) window when I tried to bring up my Windows 10 image.

The first attempt was from the saved image prior to hibernating my Linux laptop last Friday. When it did not come up (VBox.log3), I killed off the process and tried to start it up fresh (VBox.log2). Again it failed, so I again killed it off and tried again (VBox.log1). This attempt also failed, so I tried one more time (VBox.log).

I had updated both the Windows 10 image with the latest available patches as well as moving from VirtualBox 6.1.44 to VirtualBox 6.1.46, then to VirtualBox 7.0.10. Everything was working just fine last Friday after completing these steps. I had also similarly updated another Linux host containing two Windows 10 guests as well last Friday. The primary Windows 10 image, which is very similar to this one, came up just fine this morning on that machine.

I do not know enough about VirtualBox to debug what has happened on this machine. I did not notice anything in the VBox.log files that would give me a clue as to what the issue may be on this system. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

I've included the "VBox.log" and "VBox.log.3 files as a zipped attachment here. Note that I did not include the other two log files as it would have made the zip file too large to submit this message.
Attachments
VBox.logs.zip
(78.37 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Last edited by LEW on 25. Aug 2023, 17:40, edited 1 time in total.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: Windows 10 no longer booting up on Ubuntu 20.04-6 LTS

Post by fth0 »

I don't see any real problem in the log files either (although you're using a non-matching Guest Additions version).

Perhaps something went wrong with VirtualBox's view of your multi-monitor setup. In the VBox.log file, VirtualBox complains about 3 of the 4 monitors not being ready at some point in time, and I'd guess that your 2 virtual monitors are supposed to use 2 of the 4 physical monitors.

I'd suggest to have a look into the Windows 10 (new).vbox file and to check if the extradata settings match what you'd expect. Then reduce the virtual monitor count from 2 to 1, make sure that the monitors aren't in any type of power saving mode, and start the VM.