Windows NT 3.51 virtual machine hangs on "NTDetect V1.0 Checking Hardware" at startup

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
2ekibaragon
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows NT 3.51, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 (2 instances, actually) and Windows 10 (1709)

Windows NT 3.51 virtual machine hangs on "NTDetect V1.0 Checking Hardware" at startup

Post by 2ekibaragon »

hi, so today i have created a virtual machine that runs Windows NT 3.51 on VirtualBox 6.1.38 on a Windows 10 Home 22H2 computer (desktop BTW), and have recently installed the SP5 update for NT 3.51 on said aforementioned virtual machine. however, whenever i try and boot into it via the OS Loader option, i select "Windows NT Workstation Version 3.51", it starts the process of booting into the OS, but whenever it displays "NTDETECT V1.0 Checking Hardware ..." it hangs.

btw, i have barely any experience in virtual machines (despite the fact that i created my very first one, a Windows XP one, almost 4 years ago back in September of 2019) and i'm not well working with them that much, i tried resetting and everything (not the hard drive OFC, but the process) but it still doesn't work, can anybody help me with this? thanks
mpack
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Windows NT 3.51 virtual machine hangs on "NTDetect V1.0 Checking Hardware" at startup

Post by mpack »

NT 3.51 is not a common choice so I have little to base this on, but it is very old and may have the same problems on modern processors that Win9x has.

So what is your processor? (precise manufacturer and part number please).
2ekibaragon
Guest OSses: Windows NT 3.51, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 (2 instances, actually) and Windows 10 (1709)

Re: Windows NT 3.51 virtual machine hangs on "NTDetect V1.0 Checking Hardware" at startup

Post by 2ekibaragon »

if you are talking about my host PC, i have an Intel Core i5-9400 which runs at the speed of 2.90GHz. if you are talking about the VM, well i don't know since i didn't know that virtual machines had their own different processors.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

2ekibaragon wrote: 19. Jul 2023, 12:06 i didn't know that virtual machines had their own different processors.
They don't, in fact that is what defines the difference between a hypervisor and a simulator. It's also why I made no distinction in my post.

My own PC is a 10th gen i9 and does not have the problem with Win9x, so I would guess that your 9th gen i5 should not be a problem either.

I'm afraid I can't contribute much more here: I was never an NT 3.5 user, so I have no such VMs or install disks or interest to try it myself.

Win2K is a supported guest, so perhaps you could get a hold of that instead.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

Please provide a (zipped) VBox.log file, perhaps there's something to see within ...
2ekibaragon

Post by 2ekibaragon »

fth0 wrote: 19. Jul 2023, 18:08 Please provide a (zipped) VBox.log file, perhaps there's something to see within ...
ok, here:
Attachments
Windows NT 3.51-2023-07-19-21-15-06.zip
(23.33 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

FWIW, a few remarks:

The VM is based on the VirtualBox template for "Windows NT 3.x", which has a floppy controller and a BusLogic SCSI controller with the virtual hard disk image (VDI) attached to it. VirtualBox read 267 kB from the VDI and executed guest OS code for ~1 second.

I've read that Windows NT 3.51 requires an Intel 386 or 486 CPU. You could try if restricting the CPU capabilities with VBoxManage modifyvm "Windows NT 3.51" --cpu-profile 80386 makes a difference.

I've read that Windows NT 3.51 requires 90 MB of free hard disk drive space. Can it handle a 4 GB (virtual) hard disk?

I'm not sure if I understood your initial description right (perhaps a language barrier). You created a VM "today" and updated the guest OS "recently", meaning afterwards? What are the "OS Loader options" (I never used Windows NT 3.51)? Perhaps you could describe what you did in a few more details ...