Guest to DragonFly 6.4 64bit

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
KenUnix

Guest to DragonFly 6.4 64bit

Post by KenUnix »

I have installed DragonFlyBSD 6.4 64bit (latest release) as a guest under Virtualbox 7.0.8 (current) on Ubuntu 22.04 (current).

DragonFly seems to operate OK, however I am unable to get guest additions working.

I need those additions working so the GUI X desktop works and the mouse works.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Guest to DragonFly 6.4 64bit

Post by mpack »

There are no Guest Additions provided by VirtualBox for BSD. The list of guests supported by GAs can be found in the user manual.

You may be able to find third party builds (e.g. from FreeBSD), I wouldn't know.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Well, just a caveat that DragonFly is not FreeBSD. DragonFly apparantly forked from FreeBSD quite some time ago. The FreeBSD community have done a port of the GAs so presumably that is indeed the best bet - but I have not tested that it works.
KenUnix

Post by KenUnix »

mpack wrote: 18. Jul 2023, 10:00 There are no Guest Additions provided by VirtualBox for BSD. The list of guests supported by GAs can be found in the user manual.

You may be able to find third party builds (e.g. from FreeBSD), I wouldn't know.
That's not exactly true. Virtualbox 7.0.8 supports FreeBSD, OpenBSD and NetBSD.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I referred you to the user manual. I see no mention of BSD support documented there?

To my knowledge, the BSD support that does exist is by the FreeBSD community, there has never been official support by Oracle/VirtualBox.