Mouse click stops working after dragging from guest

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
jack087
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux Lite (Ubuntu 22.04)

Mouse click stops working after dragging from guest

Post by jack087 »

Hi all,

I'm having an issue with a Linux Ubuntu VM guest on a Windows 10 host system. VirtualBox Version is 7.0.8 r156879 (Qt5.15.2).

Even though I use to maximize the VirtualBox window, when I scroll a window inside the VM by dragging the right scrollbar, I eventually move the cursor beyond the right border until a popup is shown, with an error message which translates to "Drag and drop from guest to host failed".

Then the mouse stops working: I can still move the cursor, but clicking any button has no effect. I can't even move between windows, but by using the keyboard. The only way to recover full mouse functionality is by manually killing both instances of the process /usr/bin/VBoxClient --draganddrop

Here are some related lines in the Vbox.log file:

Code: Select all

01:56:56.793939 DnD: Error: Requesting pending data from guest failed (VERR_TIMEOUT)
01:56:56.793993 ERROR [COM]: aRC=VBOX_E_DND_ERROR (0x80bb0011) aIID={dedfb5d9-4c1b-edf7-fdf3-c1be6827dc28} aComponent={GuestDnDSourceWrap} aText={DnD: Error: Requesting pending data from guest failed (VERR_TIMEOUT)}, preserve=false aResultDetail=-40
Any help would be highly appreciated.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Mouse click stops working after dragging from guest

Post by scottgus1 »

This may be an error condition or bug deeper than the forum can fix. Please post this, along with a vbox.log of the session where it occurred, on the Bugtracker .

As a workaround, try disbling drag-n-drop in the VM's settings, see if the error happens again. Virtualbox Shared Folders or real shared folders are a decent (and more reliable) method for getting files into and out of a VM.
jack087
Guest OSses: Linux Lite (Ubuntu 22.04)

Re: Mouse click stops working after dragging from guest

Post by jack087 »

scottgus1 wrote: 16. Jul 2023, 13:45 This may be an error condition or bug deeper than the forum can fix. Please post this, along with a vbox.log of the session where it occurred, on the Bugtracker .

As a workaround, try disbling drag-n-drop in the VM's settings, see if the error happens again. Virtualbox Shared Folders or real shared folders are a decent (and more reliable) method for getting files into and out of a VM.
Thank you for replying. I'm collecting more information to report the issue on the bug tracker. It looks like the bug occurs after saving and then restoring the VM state.