Portable USB Drive with Bootable VM: Best Solution and/or Hypervisor Alternative?

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
MessengerG00se

Portable USB Drive with Bootable VM: Best Solution and/or Hypervisor Alternative?

Post by MessengerG00se »

Edit: I did further googling after making this post and found that this is very much a thing already, apologies for the extraneous post.

I am interested in making a USB drive with a VM on it so that I can boot up the VM on the computer I plug it into even if it doesn't have a hypervisor installed. My first thought was putting the hypervisor on the drive, but I wouldn't say I like this solution.
Is there a better solution? Also, is VirtualBox the best hypervisor to do this with?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Portable USB Drive with Bootable VM: Best Solution and/or Hypervisor Alternative?

Post by scottgus1 »

No problem! Thanks for asking.

FWIW "portable" Virtualbox isn't actually portable. It still requires installing Virtualbox on the host using Admin credentials, only the install could be automated. You could essentially do the same thing with a USB-attached SSD containing the standard Virtualbox installer, the VM and a double-click of the VM's .vbox file. You might even write a batch file that does a silent install and registering of the VM.

FWIW2 the USB drive should be an SSD, not a "thumb drive". Thumb drives can't take the constant writing of a modern OS and will die quickly.