Black Screen/Blinking Cursor on Ubuntu Start

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
bhuvi

Black Screen/Blinking Cursor on Ubuntu Start

Post by bhuvi »

Hello, I have got the same issue tried doing the steps but the problem persists.
I tried increasing the video memory, changed the graphic controller to new one(didn't work), and resized th vdrive.
And I'm not able to attach the log file here, may I know how to do that. It would be grateful if you could help me as I have an work to be done urgently. Thank you.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Black Screen/Blinking Cursor on Ubuntu Start

Post by scottgus1 »

Be sure you undo this:
bhuvi wrote: 11. Jul 2023, 15:01 changed the graphic controller to new one(didn't work),
Good troubleshooting step here, too bad it didn't help:
bhuvi wrote: 11. Jul 2023, 15:01 increasing the video memory
Ubuntu is known to go blackscreen if there is not enough free disk space to start the desktop environment. This happens in real PCs too. The solution is to log on text-only and delete stuff until the desktop environment can start. Web-search how to fix this in an Ubuntu PC and apply the steps to the VM. How to Resize a Drive can show you how to increase the Virtualbox drive file, and offer suggestions on resizing the partitions inside the VM.
bhuvi wrote: 11. Jul 2023, 15:01 resized th vdrive.
Did you do both steps?

bhuvi wrote: 11. Jul 2023, 15:01 I'm not able to attach the log file here
Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. In the "Logs" subfolder, zip the VM's "vbox.log", and post the zip file, using the forum's Attachments tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions so you can find the "vbox.log", not "vbox.log.1", etc.)
bhuvi

Post by bhuvi »

To resize the vdrive I was able to do the step one 1, to do step 2 it's not clear how to do that. And In my VM I can't see my mouse cursor.
I've attached the log file.Thank you for replying.
Attachments
Ubuntu-2023-07-11-17-35-33.log
(89.39 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

The log is incomplete. The VM window was not closed before the log was taken:
scottgus1 wrote: 11. Jul 2023, 15:26 shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.
Following instructions is important.

The log shows normal boot of the Linux OS and Guest Additions starting. I don't see actual problems of running the Linux OS in this incomplete log.
bhuvi wrote: 11. Jul 2023, 15:42 to do step 2 it's not clear how to do that.
You'll have to exercise some reading comprehension to figure out how to solve problems. And you'll have to describe exactly what you did to try to carry out step 2, and where you're having trouble.
bhuvi

Post by bhuvi »

Sorry for the late reply. I did download the gparted file and mounted it to the vm in storage. Still the problem persists. I have attached the log taken after shutdowning the vm.
Attachments
log.zip
(39.84 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

bhuvi wrote: 11. Jul 2023, 17:22 I did download the gparted file and mounted it to the vm in storage. -> (X) <- Still the problem persists.
There's more to it that simply sticking Gparted into the CD drive. What did you do during the "X"?
bhuvi

Post by bhuvi »

After mounting it, I'd restarted the vm and it open gparted ui,selected the vdrive and resized and applied the changes and the vm was rebooted. I'm new to virtualbox, so I have this doubts, do I have to do "insert the guest addition cd image". If so does the installed gparted file has to be in virtualbox folder in system.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

bhuvi wrote: 11. Jul 2023, 19:27 After mounting it, I'd restarted the vm and it open gparted ui,selected the vdrive and resized and applied the changes and the vm was rebooted.
That sounds accurate to me. I'm no Gparted guru, though, so I don't know if anything else needs to be done. If you reboot into Gparted, does the extra space show as part of the OS's usable partitions?
bhuvi wrote: 11. Jul 2023, 19:27 does the installed gparted file has to be in virtualbox folder in system.
Once you get the disk and paritions resized, you don't need to keep Gparted in the VM's CD drive anymore.
bhuvi wrote: 11. Jul 2023, 19:27 do I have to do "insert the guest addition cd image".
No. Guest Additions are already installed, if I read the log correctly.

Once you confirm that Gparted shows a larger partition in the VM for the Linux OS to use, does the Linux OS boot to the desktop?
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Today seems to be my day for wild guesses. On this one I would guess that the wrong partition was resized. Say: the swap partition.
RomuloCS

Post by RomuloCS »

Hello everyone.
I have similar problem that I cannot solve. I had resized the partition but still the VM with Ubuntu cannot start and show the blinking underscore. I am attaching the log file in case someone of you can help me.
I will really appreciate any idea on it.

All the best,
Attachments
YSP_log.zip
(25.65 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
ElVirtuoso

Post by ElVirtuoso »

RomuloCS wrote: 8. Feb 2024, 08:51 Hello everyone.
I have similar problem that I cannot solve. I had resized the partition but still the VM with Ubuntu cannot start and show the blinking underscore. I am attaching the log file in case someone of you can help me.
I will really appreciate any idea on it.

All the best,
Hello,

Would you happen to have solved your problem? I am running into the same issue.

Thank you