Client window disappear after win11 reboot

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
matthewchin

Re: Client window disappear after win11 reboot

Post by matthewchin »

I try manual install GA in ubuntu client, by
sudo wget https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/7.0.8/VBoxGuestAdditions_7.0.8.iso -P /tmp
sudo mount -o loop /tmp/VBoxGuestAdditions_5.0.20.iso /mnt
sudo sh /mnt/VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
But seem still have issue.
Screenshot 2023-07-01-6.jpg
Screenshot 2023-07-01-6.jpg (125.97 KiB) Viewed 2410 times
matthewchin

Post by matthewchin »

All,

Finally, I need use a previous backup of my ubuntu client in virtual box manager.

and I follow this :
https://www.itzgeek.com/how-tos/linux/u ... 22-04.html

GA seems installed ok now, I check with:
$ lsmod | grep vboxguest
vboxguest             434176  7 vboxsf
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Be careful: all that your latter test proved is that some version of the GAs are installed. But you don't want the ancient version that is bundled with Ubuntu, you want the GAs version that currently ships with VirtualBox.

Adding to my doubts is that you didn't comment on a clear error when building the GAs, i.e. the message "This system is not currently set up to build kernel modules. Please install the gcc make perl packages from your distribution".

So I believe you are expected to command "sudo apt install gcc make perl" and then try the build again, and check that it completes without contrary messages.

If you post a zipped VM log then we can tell in an instant if updated GAs have been installed.

And when building the GAs, please do use the official VirtualBox and the official GAs that comes with official VirtualBox. In official VirtualBox you don't use "wget", you use the VM menu option to insert the GAs CD.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

mpack wrote: 1. Jul 2023, 18:01 Adding to my doubts is that you didn't comment on a clear error when building the GAs, i.e. the message "This system is not currently set up to build kernel modules. Please install the gcc make perl packages from your distribution".

So I believe you are expected to command "sudo apt install gcc make perl" and then try the build again, and check that it completes without contrary messages.
Exactly that!
matthewchin

Post by matthewchin »

All,

Apology for my lack of experience. I installed GA I think as I can cut-and-paster between host and client yesterday, followed the install as
https://www.itzgeek.com/how-tos/linux/u ... 22-04.html

Log is included with zip.
ubuntu-server-2023-07-02-06-33-25.zip
(18.47 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
I need state GA is not my concern, at the very beginning, I do not installed GA, client ubuntu still work.

The main concern here, even I restored ubuntu-server yesterday with a prior backup, it is now after win11 reboot, when I click the green right arrow icon, no client window can be 'start' or pop-up that I still want a solution.

Thanks.
matthewchin

Post by matthewchin »

All,

For win11 start the virtualbox, I follow this post ("Implementing the solution" with many screens - by DeeJayh using windows task scheduler):
https://superuser.com/questions/1027410 ... -10-reboot

If I copy the whole ubuntu-server folder, do the same with another win11 PC with virtualbox, the green right arrow 'start' can popup the client window screen, that I cannot understand.

Matthew
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The new log does show that current Guest Additions have been installed and are running.
00:00:17.013733 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 7.0.8 r156879 '7.0.8'
matthewchin

Post by matthewchin »

All,

Without hint, I report this issue to Microsoft.

My win11 pro PC is update as 22H2.

Also, I find when 2nd desktop is selected, it display 1st desktop, I wonder after win11 reboot, some unknown issues are occurred.

Matthew
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

From this:
matthewchin wrote:On win11 I install virtual box to run ubuntu server, if I login win11 server, client window can 'start' before.

I use task scheduler and start the virtual box (using .bat) when system boot, suddenly the client window disappear and now hard to use.
and this:
matthewchin wrote: 2. Jul 2023, 03:59 I follow this post ("Implementing the solution" with many screens - by DeeJayh using windows task scheduler):
https://superuser.com/questions/1027410 ... -10-reboot
I gather that sometimes you try to have the VM autostart using a Task Scheduler batch file, and then the VM window does not appear, even when you try to show the VM window. But if you disable the Task Scheduler routine and start the VM normally from the main Virtualbox window after logging in on the host, the VM window appears normally.

Is this your problem?
matthewchin

Post by matthewchin »

Dear

Even I login the win11 pro pc, I still cannot start the client ubuntu big screen when clicking the green right arrow in virtualbox.

Only if I remove/reinstall virtualbox, I can.
But, once win11 reboot, it cannot again.

So, this is quite abnormal.

Matthew
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

matthewchin wrote: 10. Jul 2023, 01:27 Only if I remove/reinstall virtualbox, I can.
But, once win11 reboot, it cannot again.
Sounds like some Virtualbox files aren't plugging in correctly. Please try this:
  1. Uninstall Virtualbox and reboot.
  2. Go to "C:\Windows\System32\drivers", look for any files called 'Vbox*.sys' (there could be up to 5) and delete them.
  3. Reboot again.
  4. If you have any 3rd-party security or anti-malware software, disable the living daylights out of it for a moment.
  5. Reinstall Virtualbox using right-click-Run-As-Administrator.
matthewchin

Post by matthewchin »

Dear scottgus1 :

Thank for advise, I tried your steps remove virtualbox and delete vbox*.sys files:
Screenshot 2023-07-10-1.jpg
Screenshot 2023-07-10-1.jpg (59.85 KiB) Viewed 2294 times
Reboot, reinstall virtualbox and try, still no luck, no client big window come up after green right arrow is pressed.
Screenshot 2023-07-10-2.jpg
Screenshot 2023-07-10-2.jpg (103.81 KiB) Viewed 2294 times
Anyway, thank for suggestion.
Matthew
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

I'm sorry it didn't work! Unfortunately, I'm out of ideas.

A workaround: try enabling Virtualbox Remote Desktop in the VM's Display settings. See if you can use the host Remote Desktop Connection client to see the VM's screen.
matthewchin

Post by matthewchin »

scottgus1,

I really doing remote desktop connection from another PC (also win11).
I meant I RDP connect to the host win11 pro (ip 192.168.0.x) that install with virtualbox already (and client ubuntu at 192.168.0.y).

I see documentation to set in virtualbox Display > Remote Display > Enable server, using the default settings (port 3389 etc), but...

Do I understand correctly, this allow only RDP to the win11 pro host (192.168.0.x) as I am doing without setup in virtualbox already? but I am unable to RDP to ubuntu (192.168.0.y) which I actually want to ... (or how to do) ?

Matthew
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

You're in the correct place.

To use Virtualbox RDP you would remote to the host PC's IP address, but use the port number selected in the Display settings.

Port 3389 is the common port for RDP, and the Windows 11 Pro host already has that port for itself.

You'll have to pick a different port number for the VM RDP that is not being used by anything else. Ports 3390-4000 are often unused. Pick one of those port numbers for the VM, then use that port number for the RDP client.

If you are using the 11 host's RDP client, and you've picked port 3390 in the VM's port setting, you'd use this address in the RDP client:

127.0.0.1:3390

If you're RDPing from another computer, use this address:

192.168.0.x:3390

You'll probably have to open the port number in the host's firewall, web-search how to do this.