"This device doesn't support receiving Miracast"

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Fabio

"This device doesn't support receiving Miracast"

Post by Fabio »

I am running Windows 10 as guest on a Linux host. Windows 10 supports "Projecting to this PC", but I get "This device doesn't support receiving Miracast" within the Window's configuration panel:
Schermata del 2023-06-26 09-36-29.png
Schermata del 2023-06-26 09-36-29.png (10.59 KiB) Viewed 737 times
Is this limitation due to the virtual network drivers? Can it be overcome somehow?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: "This device doesn't support receiving Miracast"

Post by mpack »

I'm no Miracast expert, but perhaps the lack of WiFi would be a fundamental obstacle.
Fabio

Post by Fabio »

The host has a wireless adapter, which the guest uses via a bridged connection. Part of my question does in fact consider the possibility that this limitation is due to the virtual network drivers (in this case, because they are no wireless drivers) and if that's the reason, I suppose that there's no way to overcome this?

On the other hand, windows 10 does support "Miracast over infastructure" and I believe my system meets all the requirements for it.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Sorry, I don't know enough about the requirements of Miracast to comment on what it doesn't like. Others may have better knowledge. I'm confident that any hardware-agnostic networking protocol will work in a VM.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

I also don't have any experience with Miracast, but Virtualbox is required to use a workaround to Bridge to Wi-Fi. (Technically, Wi-Fi in its pure implementation cannot Bridge. Virtualbox Networks: In Pictures: Bridged Adapter )

Try connecting your host via wired Ethernet, and Bridge to the wired adapter.