Again no response from Windows 10 guest after successful login

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
nvtc

Post by nvtc »

Hiya. Haven't seen this before but since a couple of days my properly shut down VM #1 won't react to any mouse or keyboard input once I've entered my password into the windows login screen and the system booting to desktop. My somewhat identical VM #2 has no such issues despite both being on 7.0.6. and Windows 10 having received the latest updates. Any ideas? TIA!
Attachments
Logs.7z
(49.91 KiB) Downloaded 223 times
Last edited by nvtc on 10. Jan 2024, 09:54, edited 3 times in total.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: No response from Windows 10 guest after successful login

Post by scottgus1 »

The only thing I can suggest is to give the VM another processor. It has one processor now, which is somewhat thin for W10. The VM may also benefit from more RAM (2GB now).

Note that your logged run had lots of RAM being used by the host already. If you increase VM RAM, you may want to start the VM right after you start the host, to ensure the VM gets the RAM it is set for.

I didn't see anything else wrong in the log, aside from long periods of no log activity when there should have been (such as some 5 1/2 minutes between start of Guest Additions and start of the GAs services; usually that's only a few seconds.) No indication of why though, except for 'slow'.
nvtc

Re: No response from Windows 10 guest after successful login

Post by nvtc »

Upgrading to 3027 MB RAM and 2 CPUs did the trick, first boot several hours in after the host had been started just run fine. It's still weird cause I've worked with VM #2 (which is based on this one) all morning on 2048 MB RAM and 1 CPU.

I don't understand the logic behind this but I'll take it. Thanks!
nvtc

Post by nvtc »

I'm afraid I was too optimistic. Even with more RAM and CPU assigned, the Win 10 guest keeps locking up on every use. Only the time it takes for it to do so differs. I usually shut down the host and boot again instead of using the suspended machine but even updating to 7.0.12 hasn't fixed this. What's left to try?
nvtc

Re: Again no response from Windows 10 guest after successful login

Post by nvtc »

I still see no pattern as to when the machine locks up. It appears to happen less often when I start from a powered down rather than suspended machine.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Again no response from Windows 10 guest after successful login

Post by scottgus1 »

Consider the possibility that the problem is inside the VM's OS instead of Virtualbox. OS's and log-on accounts go bad. Host disk problems could cause a bit flip in the file that represents the VM's disk. Especially if another VM still works. You may have to restore the broken VM from a backup and copy the bad VM's files out of the disk.