Linux guest crash

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
zizhao

Linux guest crash

Post by zizhao »

Hi,
I installed two RockyLinux8.4 guests on VirtualBox(Version 7.0.2 r154219 (Qt5.15.2)) on Windows 10, one name is RockyLinux and the other RockyLinux2. I first used RockyLinux several times and then switched to RockyLinux2. However, one day I found the RockyLinux can't boot successfully and there was a new entry "RockyLinux8.6" in GRUB menu. I tried RockyLinux8.6, RockyLinux8.4 and RockyLinux8.4 rescu all three entries on RockyLinux Guest but none worked. But RockyLinux2 kept working well even after I manually updated its kernel to RockyLinux8.7. When the symptom just came out it hung the virtualbox so I had to shutdown the virtualmachine window to quit. Then after two weeks the symptom changed that the virtualmachine window just crashed(auto-close) directly. I tried to interrupt the booting process by add "rd.break" and "systemd.unit=emergency.target" and could enter to console. I also redirected Linux console output to host and compared but don't get any idea. May someone give some suggestion? Thanks.
Attachments
Logs_RockyLinux.zip
(29.33 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Logs_RockyLinux2.zip
(44.06 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Linux guest crash

Post by mpack »

Let's upgrade to the latest VirtualBox (7.0.8) and then continue the discussion if necessary.