What is the privacy policy virtualbox

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
TOMisTom

What is the privacy policy virtualbox

Post by TOMisTom »

Hi everyone,

I already read the Privacy Policy but I really don't get it.

I would like to know if my virtual machines are private or if Oracle or anyone else has the power to view and access them. If I get it right the User Agreement states, that information is shared with the US Government.

Are my machines only stored on my local device, or can Oracle or anyone else access them?

Thanks!
Last edited by TOMisTom on 9. Jun 2023, 17:11, edited 1 time in total.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: What is the privacy policy virtualbox

Post by scottgus1 »

Frankly, I never can wrap my head around all that legalese either.

Oracle does have a cloud service that folks can store their VMs on, but that requires a special signup. I don't know if Oracle can or would read into those VMs.

Using strictly Virtualbox in its default setup, the VMs will be stored on your local PC drive and no one who does not have access to your PC will be able to get at your VMs. Virtualbox is also open-source, so source code gurus can see what it does. No one has reported back doors that I remember reading about on the forum. (Note that the Extension Pack is not open-source, so no one knows if anything is hidden in there. However, no one has reported anything yet on this concept. If you don't need the Extension Pack features you can skip installing the Extension Pack.)
TOMisTom

Post by TOMisTom »

Thanks that sounds good.

Can I somehow look if I installed those extension packs? Because idk if I did.

I only downloaded VirtualBox 7.0.8. Does it ask in the installation process to included the extension packs? If not I have not installed them, right?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

The Extension Pack is a separate download and manual installation within the main Virtualbox window after the Virtualbox install is over. The EP is installed by opening the main Virtualbox window, then File menu, Tools popout, Extension Pack Manager, click the green + toolbar button, navigate to the EP download, select it, accept the license.

If you don't remember doing anything like that, you probably don't have the EP installed. But you can see by going to the main Virtualbox window's EP Manager as shown above.