How to use VirtualBox

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Starfiretbt

How to use VirtualBox

Post by Starfiretbt »

I recently installed Virtualbox and I was wondering how to use it? I have been reading the LONG manual and watching youtube videos and it looks like I import or create operating systems through it.

1. Are there pre made operating systems (those are called VM's right) for VirtualBox available (I know it looks easy to set up an operating system but I'm worried I will screw it up if I try to set up my own)
2. As long as I set the VM to dynamic do I need to worry about it's size? Dynamic means it adjusts is size as needed correct?
3. Is there a list for how many cores I should allocate per system? I don't want to use too many or too few
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: How to use VirtualBox

Post by scottgus1 »

Starfiretbt wrote: 6. Jun 2023, 21:00 1. Are there pre made operating systems (those are called VM's right) for VirtualBox available
Yes. These are also called 'appliances', and come in OVA downloads, which you'd use the main Virtualbox window's File menu, Import Appliance command.

"VM" actually stands for Virtual Machine, which covers both pre-made OVA appliances and install-from-scratch. Virtualbox also calls these VMs "guests". The physical computer is the "host".

"Install-from-scratch" is not difficult. It's just like what you'd do on a real PC: Put the CD in the Optical drive and start the VM. (ISO files, images of CDs, can be used directly in the Optical drive too, and have faster performance. No need to burn a physical CD.)
Starfiretbt wrote: 6. Jun 2023, 21:00 2. As long as I set the VM to dynamic do I need to worry about it's size? Dynamic means it adjusts is size as needed correct?
Dynamic starts small and gets bigger, but won't get any bigger than the size you picked at the beginning. If you are reasonable with size, as in don't make a 4TB disk on a 512MB SSD :lol: then you shouldn't have problems. Note that the final size of the dynamic drive can be readjusted bigger later, and there is a compact function that can shrink the drive file by dumping disused sectors. Be sure enough free host disk space is available for the dynamic disk to grow into.
Starfiretbt wrote: 6. Jun 2023, 21:00 3. Is there a list for how many cores I should allocate per system? I don't want to use too many or too few
No list as such, but modern OS's, back to Windows XP, like two processors. More than 2 slows down the VM because of extra scheduling oversight on the host OS. Add processors only when you've installed 3rd-party multi-processor-aware apps like video transcoding or code compiling.
Starfiretbt

Re: How to use VirtualBox

Post by Starfiretbt »

Thank you for your insight. How come I wasn't notified when you commented? I have the box "notify me" checked but I never got an email. I just happened to come back to this post.