Screen Resolution Control, Guest Additions/Linux Settings

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
ufguy

Screen Resolution Control, Guest Additions/Linux Settings

Post by ufguy »

Ok, I've noticed under the View menu, into the Virtual Screen 1 submenu there are greyed out options to resize the screen resolution. Below that there are scale options that are not greyed out. One of the greyed out resize options does reflect the current screen resolution. So it is aware of it.

So I was running into a barrier installing Vanilla OS. Like I'd get to a point and one of the buttons was off screen and I was unable to reach it. Did some reading and it was suggested to change the screen resolution in Linux. Settings then Display, option is there. I did that and it solved the problem.

This lead me to the question as to why the screen resolution options are greyed out? So the VirtualBox is able to know the screen resolution but not manipulate it?

Under XUbuntu with Guest Additions the resize options are not greyed out and do change the resolution. The change is also reflected in the Settings.

I'm looking at the admin guide for VirtualBox and not finding anything about any of this:
https://docs.oracle.com/en/virtualizati ... uests.html
the manual(https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/) doesn't appear to have anything about it either so far...

Am I right that the screen resolution options are greyed out because the VBoxClient isn't there without Guest Additions installed?

So to recap, to change screen resolution:
#1 Guest Additions not installed: Do it from within Linux
#2 Guest Additions installed: Do it from within Linux or from the VirtualBox View-->Virtual Screen menu.

AND the missing change option in #1 is not a bug. Or is it?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Screen Resolution Control, Guest Additions/Linux Settings

Post by scottgus1 »

Working Guest Additions are required for these screen size options to be enabled and usable. So when they're grayed out it means that Guest Additions aren't running correctly in the VM.

Note that old Guest Additions in the VM may work well enough. If the menu options were enabled and usable during the install portion of the OS, it means the installer had Guest Additions added in and running. Something the Linux distros might try to do on occasion.

To get everything working well for GAs the prerequisites also need to be done first, per your other topic.