Guest Additions Test Notes

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
ufguy

Guest Additions Test Notes

Post by ufguy »

Unsure if this is the right place to post this but here it is.
--------
Just some notes on the Guest Additions testing I'm running. Testing on a Windows 11 host. Shared Clipboard and Drag and Drop are both set to Bidirectional for each OS.

---------

Solaris:
Solaris: SunOS 5.11 11.4.42.111.0 i86pc i386 i86pc virtualbox

Copy and Paste works for host/Solaris both ways

Drag and Drop 50% worked. I could drag from the Host and into Solaris. But not from Solaris into the host.

Shared Folders work. Must be root to access.

Playing a video in youtube is tough. Youtube does not run smoothly. A message on the browser stated more video/audio drivers need to be installed.

Installation of Guest Additions was thwarted for a few minutes. The problem was that the Solaris OS still had the installation disk inserted in the CDROM. I had to eject that and then I could insert the Guest Additions CD Image.
---------

Linux Mint:
Linux VirtualBox 5.15.0-56-generic #62-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 22 19:54:14 UTC 2022 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Copy and Paste works for host/Mint both ways
Drag and Drop 50% worked. I could drag out of Host and into Mint. But not from Mint into the host.

Shared Folder work:
To access the Shared Folder root access is needed. Using su to go to root does not work, but sudo -i does work.

Playing a video in youtube is fine. I didn't test this before adding the Guest Additions.

I don't think the "Install Guest Additions" option worked. Check box to install it in one of the opening dialogs.
---------

XUbuntu:
Linux 5.19.0-42-generic #43~22.04.1-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Fri Apr 21 16:51:08 UTC 2 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Copy and Paste work for host/XUbuntu both ways
Shared Folders work. Need to be root to access.

Drag and Drop does not work, it fails going both ways. Normal drag and drop within xfce is working.

Playing a video in youtube is now fine. Before Guest Additions videos were clunky.
---------

Ubuntu:
Linux 5.19.0-42-generic #43~22.04.1-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Fri Apr 21 16:51:08 UTC 2 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

"Install Guest Additions" option worked. I didn't need to do any further installation beyond loading Ubuntu.
Copy and Paste worked for host/Ubuntu both ways
Drag and Drop 50% worked. I could drag out of host and into Ubuntu. But not from the Ubuntu into the host.

Shared Folders worked. Didn't need to be root to access this. "drwxrwx---"
Youtube video playback: video ran ok but the audio was crackly.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Guest Additions Test Notes

Post by mpack »

Please stick to one issue per topic. E.g. one topic should not be discussing Linux and Solaris guests - the level of support for both those is not claimed to be equal.

Topic moved to "Linux Guests" in the meantime.

You definitely don't need to be root to access GA shared folders, at least not unless you installed the GAs as root too (I guess).

Smooth video playback will require 3D acceleration, especially in hd. Which requires the GAs. And an OpenGL capable graphics card on the host.

If you want precise feedback, provide a zipped VM log for one VM.