M1/M2 install not working

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
dataengineerz

M1/M2 install not working

Post by dataengineerz »

Hello all

I've been unsuccessfully trying to install Windows 10 on Virtual Box 7 during this whole afternoon.

h-tt-ps://www-microsoft-com/pt-br/software-download/windows10ISO
h-tt-ps://www-virtualbox-org (Version install is VirtualBox-7.0.8-156879-OSX.dmg)

Any help or tip will be very appreciated!
Regards
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
LOG
(71.22 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
PNG
PNG
VBox.png (2.98 KiB) Viewed 10947 times
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Re: M1/M2 install not working

Post by loukingjr »

If you're on an Apple silicon Mac, it's not going to happen.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

Just to add, at the very least you would need the Insider Preview ARM64 version of Windows 10 which as far as I know is no longer available.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

loukingjr wrote:at the very least you would need the Insider Preview ARM64 version of Windows 10
And a hypervisor that can run it. VirtualBox's ARM Mac version only does translation of x86 to ARM. Virtualbox won't run ARM OS's.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

scottgus1 wrote:
loukingjr wrote:at the very least you would need the Insider Preview ARM64 version of Windows 10
And a hypervisor that can run it. VirtualBox's ARM Mac version only does translation of x86 to ARM. Virtualbox won't run ARM OS's.
That's my understanding, :) I only mentioned ARM64 since the OP didn't seem to be using it. A non-ARM64 version of Windows won't run in any virtualization app I'm aware of on Apple silicon.
dataengineerz

Post by dataengineerz »

Holy Moses, so I'm never gonna make it happen on M1/M2...What would be the substitution for VB? Parallels?
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

There's no magic potion. To run an Intel version of Windows 10 you need a PC with an Intel compatible processor, not different software.
dtpoirot

Post by dtpoirot »

The free-to-use QEMU fork, UTM, on GitHub, works very well with ARM on ARM.

My M2 MacBook is running Ventura. I have Debian, Ubuntu, and Windows 11 VMs operating correctly.

There is a project on GitHub to collect the Win 11 ESD and another to convert to an ISO for install.

Right now, 10/10
shes_apeach

Post by shes_apeach »

dataengineerz wrote: 21. May 2023, 08:10 Holy Moses, so I'm never gonna make it happen on M1/M2...What would be the substitution for VB? Parallels?
Hi! Have you found a way to run windows 10 on m1/m2?
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

"never" is an awfully long time. it's an open secret (visible in the dev source code repository on virtualbox.org) that we're working on making the x86 emulation on ARM better (faster, less buggy, ...). This should eventually be good enough to run the usual 32-bit and 64-bit Windows versions and many Linux distributions. We're also working on ARM-on-ARM which will allow you to run Linux distros supporting aarch64 (and once Microsoft makes it possible to get a legal version also Windows/ARM).

This will take a while to materialize...
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Frankly, a person who assumes that "never" means exactly the same thing as "it will take a while" will never be disappointed. :P
alennon
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: xp

Post by alennon »

2024 and it's April and still no joy... nor updates. My lovely new Mac Pro 2 sits awaiting! :D
multiOS
Volunteer
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

@allenon,

Where have you been checking for updates to the macOS/ARM Beta? There been many updates over the last 12 months, though it is still defined as a BETA/Developer Preview. These updates are only available on the Test Builds page - https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds -as, obviously, there is no stable build, yet, to be included on the main VirtualBox download page.

I haven't tested the 'latest' development release yet, VirtualBox-7.0.97-162578-macOSArm64 as of 4 April 2024, but understand from a couple of postings that there have been some success with installing/running some recent Linux releases. I will be carrying out my own tests on the above version later this week, time permitting, but would be surprised if there has been any substantial improvements with Windows (or maOS) versions which depend on x86 CPU emulation. - My earlier tests hit a 'road block' with any Windows version later than XP (32-bit), but I am curious about the recently reported successes with some Linux distros.
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

The developer snapshots are the only thing worth looking at. Windows 10/11 (the x86/x64 versions!) work well if you have a enough patience (needs much less patience than 2 months ago) and don't configure more than 2 VCPUs (which is the sweet spot currently, 3 VCPUs tend to be already significantly slower and going higher often ends with just a hang). Have no reason believing that Windows 7 or 8 have problems, they're less resource hungry and therefore should show better interactive performance.

Recent Linux installs also should be working quite well.