Snapshot fail to restore

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Edward22

Snapshot fail to restore

Post by Edward22 »

All of my snapshots fail to restore. Not sure what and when it first started. Just recently discover this problem.
Cannot delete the current state of the running machine (machine state: Snapshotting).
Result Code: VBOX _E_INVALID_VM_STATE (0X80BB0002)
Component: Session Machine
Interface: IMachine {.... - ....}
Last edited by Edward22 on 10. May 2023, 00:41, edited 1 time in total.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Snapshot fail to restore

Post by scottgus1 »

Did you recently update Virtualbox? "current state of the running machine" sounds like the snapshots were of running VMs, which requires a saved state to be included in the snapshot. Saved states rarely survive a Virtualbox version change.

If you did upgrade, downgrading back to the version you had should get the saved states going again.
Edward22

Post by Edward22 »

scottgus1 wrote:Did you recently update Virtualbox? "current state of the running machine" sounds like the snapshots were of running VMs, which requires a saved state to be included in the snapshot. Saved states rarely survive a Virtualbox version change.

If you did upgrade, downgrading back to the version you had should get the saved states going again.
It was not a upgrade issue. (Speaking of which I just did it after seeing your post. However, as expected it didn't solve the issue.) I was trying to restore a new snapshot after trying out something new.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Do the snapshot icons have an orange/red square or a green triangle on them?

Do the VMs still boot up?
Edward22

Post by Edward22 »

scottgus1 wrote:Do the snapshot icons have an orange/red square or a green triangle on them?

Do the VMs still boot up?
Green Triangle all, but the 1st snapshots (snapshot 1) are red square. This could be because of the upgrade I just done a few hours ago (but I can't remember the pre-upgrade icons).
Yes, the VMs still work, hence why it took me a while to discover the snapshots are not working anymore.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Edward22 wrote:Green Triangle all, but the 1st snapshots (snapshot 1) are red square.
Good, thanks. Red square means the VM was shut down when the snapshot was taken. Green triangle means the VM was running when the snapshot was taken.

A green triangle VM will start up in a fully running state, with exactly the same files and apps open that it had at the time of the snapshot. It behaves exactly like a save-stated VM. This happens because a saved state is included in the snapshot.

A saved state rarely survives a Virtualbox version change. If you took a green triangle snapshot a year ago, then upgraded Virtualbox six months ago, the green triangle snapshot might have trouble starting.

However (track change for my train of thought) the "Cannot delete the current state of the running machine" error starts to mean something else to me. (fwiw there are few references to this error in the forum, and none explaining it thoroughly.) Is your VM running when trying to restore a snapshot? If so, try the restore when the VM is shut down.
Edward22

Post by Edward22 »

scottgus1 wrote:
Edward22 wrote:Green Triangle all, but the 1st snapshots (snapshot 1) are red square.
Good, thanks. Red square means the VM was shut down when the snapshot was taken. Green triangle means the VM was running when the snapshot was taken.

A green triangle VM will start up in a fully running state, with exactly the same files and apps open that it had at the time of the snapshot. It behaves exactly like a save-stated VM. This happens because a saved state is included in the snapshot.

A saved state rarely survives a Virtualbox version change. If you took a green triangle snapshot a year ago, then upgraded Virtualbox six months ago, the green triangle snapshot might have trouble starting.

However (track change for my train of thought) the "Cannot delete the current state of the running machine" error starts to mean something else to me. (fwiw there are few references to this error in the forum, and none explaining it thoroughly.) Is your VM running when trying to restore a snapshot? If so, try the restore when the VM is shut down.
I had tried shutting down VM then restore snapshot earlier (and again just now), but it doesn't fix. Once again, this problem also affect even newly made snapshot, even just seconds before shutdown.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

OK, thanks. This one is beyond me then. We'll need a forum guru to come along and show us what to do.
Edward22

Post by Edward22 »

scottgus1 wrote:OK, thanks. This one is beyond me then. We'll need a forum guru to come along and show us what to do.
Anywhere else I can report this to, in case no guru come?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Not at this moment, no. We don't know if it's a bug yet. It is quite likely something that has gone wrong on your computer, since it is so rarely mentioned in the forum.

One idea, have you rebooted the host completely?
Edward22

Post by Edward22 »

scottgus1 wrote:Not at this moment, no. We don't know if it's a bug yet. It is quite likely something that has gone wrong on your computer, since it is so rarely mentioned in the forum.

One idea, have you rebooted the host completely?
I'm not sure what is "complete reboot", but I will assume it is just restarting my host, which did not solve the issue.

PS: I'd add these 2 details to my initial post above (I'd left them out because I thought looking at the error code 0X80BB0002 will be enough, and it might be). The IMachine {... -...} results are the same throughout my different VMs.
Component: SessionMachine
Interface: IMachine {.... - ....}
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

FWIW, VirtualBox has different machine states for offline ("Snapshotting"), online ("OnlineSnapshotting") and live ("LiveSnapshotting") snapshotting. The error indicates the following:

At some time in the past, VirtualBox started to create an offline snapshot and something unexpected happened, leading VirtualBox to think that creating the offline snapshot is still ongoing. In consequence, VirtualBox denies any attempt to delete the current VM state.

Please provide the .vbox file of the VM and tell us which snapshot you want to restore.
Edward22

Post by Edward22 »

fth0 wrote:FWIW, VirtualBox has different machine states for offline ("Snapshotting"), online ("OnlineSnapshotting") and live ("LiveSnapshotting") snapshotting. The error indicates the following:

At some time in the past, VirtualBox started to create an offline snapshot and something unexpected happened, leading VirtualBox to think that creating the offline snapshot is still ongoing. In consequence, VirtualBox denies any attempt to delete the current VM state.

Please provide the .vbox file of the VM and tell us which snapshot you want to restore.
I will assume you want to see the vbox.log when it was trying to restore the snapshot, so here you go.
00:00:43.251607 E1000#0: Max TX Delay        : 0
00:00:43.253143 GIM: KVM: Resetting MSRs
00:00:43.256455 vmmR3LogFlusher: Terminating (VERR_OBJECT_DESTROYED)
00:00:43.256570 Changing the VM state from 'DESTROYING' to 'TERMINATED'
00:00:43.257356 Console: Machine state changed to 'Saved'
00:00:43.354103 GUI: Passing request to close Runtime UI from UI session to UI machine.
00:00:43.356416 GUI: UICommon: Handling aboutToQuit request..
00:00:44.272939 GUI: UICommon: aboutToQuit request handled!
What snapshots I want to restore? All the green triangle ones, especially newly made seconds or minutes ago.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Edward22 wrote:
fth0 wrote: Please provide the .vbox file of the VM and tell us which snapshot you want to restore.
I will assume you want to see the vbox.log when it was trying to restore the snapshot, so here you go.
In fact no, Fth0 asked for the ".vbox" file of the VM, i.e. the settings file for the VM because it includes the snapshot control info. You need to zip it and then attach the zip here.

If you are a Windows host user then go into Explorer settings and make sure that file extensions are visible. That will make it much more obvious what people are referring to on occasions like this.
Edward22

Post by Edward22 »

mpack wrote: Fth0 asked for the ".vbox" file of the VM ... You need to zip it and then attach the zip here.
Here you go. The zip name is based on my VM's. Only snapshots 2-5 are in the green, but I would like to restore #5.
Attachments
Cloudian.zip
(4.33 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Last edited by mpack on 10. May 2023, 19:47, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Trim redundant verbatim quote.