virtualbox update to QT 6.5 when ?

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
gabon

virtualbox update to QT 6.5 when ?

Post by gabon »

hi.

i noticed for years past virtualbox is still created using outdated software that lacks performance with newer cpu(s) alike.
quick example vb is made with QT 5.15
now QT is at version 6.5 LTS.

now the top question is, why oracle is using outdated qt 5 when qt 6 has been a big leap in performance over 2012 qt 5.
are oracle software engineers lacking the skills to update from qt 5.15 to qt 6.5 lts ?

please i need an answer i need to know in coming days if i can depend of virtual box or switch entirely on hyper-v with gpu passtrough and performance wise.
today virtual box is so outdated.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: virtualbox update to QT 6.5 when ?

Post by mpack »

These are user discussion forums, we have no knowledge of the dev's future plans. If you have a support contract with Oracle then I suggest you contact them directly.

I also don't see what this question has to do with "Windows Hosts". Topic moved to "Suggestions" forum.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Gabon, I'd also like to present to you Chesterton's Fence. The basic concept is: Don't change something until you understand why it is that way in the first place.

Why should Virtualbox change from QT5? "Because QT6 is out" is not a sufficient reason, and "If it ain't broke don't fix it" is a reasonable paradigm. Is there a problem with QT5? Do you see a problem with your Virtualbox on your (theoretical) Windows host that comes from QT5?
RokeyKokey
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 8.1

Post by RokeyKokey »

scottgus1 wrote: 8. May 2023, 14:48 Why should Virtualbox change from QT5? "Because QT6 is out" is not a sufficient reason, and "If it ain't broke don't fix it" is a reasonable paradigm. Is there a problem with QT5? Do you see a problem with your Virtualbox on your (theoretical) Windows host that comes from QT5?
The OP explained that they suggested this due to Qt 6's improved performance.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Welcome back from 2019, RokeyKokey!

Yes, I saw that too. I'm still not seeing the problem, though.

According to Wikipedia, Qt is for drawing a GUI.

So if the as-yet-unquantified "performance increase" means that Qt 6 can draw the main Virtualbox window 236 nanoseconds faster than Qt 5, I see that it's possible, but not worth the trouble.

If Qt 6 gets the VM OS to run at 98% of host speed instead of 90% host speed, that's worth the trouble.

So which is it? Where is the supposed performance increase coming in? And what are the actual numbers?
Whiskeyjack
Oracle Corporation

Post by Whiskeyjack »

"premature optimization is the root of all evil." Who says Qt's "allegedly" poor performance is the bottleneck for VirtualBox?