Problem: Sitzung kann nicht eröffnet werden

Allgemeine Diskussionen über den Einsatz von VirtualBox.
Paranoid

Problem: Sitzung kann nicht eröffnet werden

Post by Paranoid »

Hi Jungs und Mädels.

ich habe das Problem das ich nachdem ich ein Snapshot erstellt habe einen alten löschen wollte (sicherungspunkt 8).
Dies hat allerdings nicht geklappt da virtual box sich während des Löschvorgangs aufgehängt hat.

Ich habe mir nichts dabei gedacht und das Programm Virtual Box nach mehreren stunden warten über den Taskmanager geschlossen.

seitdem bekomme ich die Vm nicht mehr gestartet da er die Sitzung nicht eröffnen kann mit folgendem Fehler:

Could not open the medium 'C:\VMs\VirtualBox VMs\Kali-Linux-2021.2-virtualbox-amd64\Snapshots/{86f24687-211d-414b-95ae-9e3cad39c1fc}.vdi'.
VD: error VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND opening image file 'C:\VMs\VirtualBox VMs\Kali-Linux-2021.2-virtualbox-amd64\Snapshots/{86f24687-211d-414b-95ae-9e3cad39c1fc}.vdi' (VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND).

Fehlercode:
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Komponente:
MediumWrap
Interface:
IMedium {ad47ad09-787b-44ab-b343-a082a3f2dfb1}

Ich kann leider auch keinen alten Wiederherstllungspunkt Laden da die selbe Fehlermeldung kommt.
Ich bekomme gar nichts mehr gestartet seit dem leider.... :(

Hoffe jemand hat noch ne idee wie ich das Problem gelöst bekomme von euch oder kennt sogar die Lösung ?

Vielen Lieben Dank
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Problem: Sitzung kann nicht eröffnet werden

Post by scottgus1 »

VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND means the file is expected to be there but it isn't there anymore. This condition was probably caused by:
Paranoid wrote:virtual box hung up during the deletion process.
Snapshots make a VM more delicate, and the usual commodity computer hardware does not strengthen this delicateness, rather encouraging it.

At this point you'll have to restore the VM from your backups.

You could also use Mpack's CloneVDI to try to clone the latest complete snapshot chain that can be found (try each snapshot disk file in CloneVDI until an error message does not show) then clone the snapshot chain and make a new VM around the clone output.
Paranoid

Post by Paranoid »

Thanks for your quick answear.

so is there no possibility to rebuild the coruppt file or something like that ?

so is it normal that if you lose 1 snapshot that all other are broken too ?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Paranoid wrote:is there no possibility to rebuild the coruppt file
No. You can only put it back from host backups. Backups should be a part of any modern computing scheme.
Paranoid wrote: is it normal that if you lose 1 snapshot that all other are broken too ?
All the snapshots after the broken file are lost, yes. Snapshot disk files, like the file that has been lost, only contain changed disk sectors. They're not differential backups. See viewtopic.php?f=35&t=84332
Paranoid

Post by Paranoid »

Oh man i thought its same as a backup... i realy apreciate that thanks

So the vdi is still correkt i think because i could clone the vdi with the cdi clone tool without an error.

so is it possible to get my files from the file ? there are some text files and other stuff that i need.

i read the post about snapshot that your have postet before. But i dont understand why i cant load snapshot 1 or 2 if 8 was deleatet and is broken.... so there has to be a possibility to recover to a previous snapshot or not ? if the snapshots before are not coruppt or broken.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Paranoid wrote: So the vdi is still correkt i think because i could clone the vdi with the cdi clone tool without an error.
I assume you mean the base VDI. That file only has contents dating from before the creation of the first snapshot. Read the linked discussion of snapshots.

And please understand that a snapshot doesn't store changed files, it stores changed disk sectors. Complete files can't be recovered without access to the complete chain.
Paranoid

Post by Paranoid »

yes i understand. but what i didnt understand is: if securepoint 1 is valid and not broken, why isnt it possibile to rstore to this poimnt if just point 8 is broken.... isnt it like blockchain ? block 1 has all informations and shares it with next ?

Snapshots are NOT backups!

Another illustration of what you can save/recover if you delete "Snapshot 2" in our example:

+ Snapshot 1 <-- Usable
|
+-- Snapshot 2 <-- Deleted, modified or corrupted
|
+-- Snapshot 3 <-- Can NOT be used
|
+-- Current state <-- Can NOT be used

my snapshot 1 is ok so it should be possible or not ?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

If the .vbox file expects the file for point 8 to be present, and the file has disappeared, then the VM won't start.

The missing point 8 file is causing the problem.

So you can clone point 7 and back to the base with CloneVDI, but you will have to use the cloned disk file in a new VM.

Or you can add the cloned disk to a different VM and access the files inside the cloned disk. You may be able to get access inside the cloned disk using 7-zip or some other mounting app, too, without using the cloned disk in a VM.

It is important to note that you won't be able to access any changes you made since point 8 was made. So if point 8 dated from a month ago, any changes since a month ago are not accessible.