USB ports won't attach to Windows Guests

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
GrumpyDragon

USB ports won't attach to Windows Guests

Post by GrumpyDragon »

Has anything changed?

I've never had a problem attaching USB ports to Windows guests for various applications.

Now I can't do it, not to any of my guests. This is on a MacBook Pro running Monterey, hosting XP and Windows 10 64-bit machines, and a Mac MIni running Ventura, hosting XP, Windows 10 32-bit and Windows 10 64-bit guests.

Both Macs are running the latest VB versions with respective Extensions and Guest Additions installed.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: USB ports won't attach to Windows Guests

Post by scottgus1 »

Ventura requires no kexts, so Virtualbox 7.0 has to approach things a different way. For now, you have to run 7.0 under 'sudo' to get USB. The devs re working on it.
GrumpyDragon

Post by GrumpyDragon »

scottgus1 wrote:Ventura requires no kexts, so Virtualbox 7.0 has to approach things a different way. For now, you have to run 7.0 under 'sudo' to get USB. The devs re working on it.
I do appreciate your prompt response, but I have absolutely no idea how to do that.

It's also not working on the machine running Monterey; when it did perfectly well up to now. I has also worked before on the Ventura mechine.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

GrumpyDragon wrote:It's also not working on the machine running Monterey; when it did perfectly well up to now.
GrumpyDragon wrote:Both Macs are running the latest VB versions
This means to me that 7.0 is running on the Monterey Mac. The 7.0 no-kexts setup is therefore in place, and the 'sudo' workaround would theoretically be needed. (I may be wrong.)
GrumpyDragon wrote:I has also worked before on the Ventura mechine.
We have not heard reports where 'sudo' was not required for Ventura Macs, which by definition require Virtualbox 7.0, to access USB. Evidence of this assertion would be required.
GrumpyDragon wrote:I have absolutely no idea how to do that.
Neither do I, I'm no Mac guru. A quick web-search, "how do I run an app using sudo?" might help. Maybe 'sudo Virtualbox' in a terminal?
GrumpyDragon

Post by GrumpyDragon »

I managed to launch VB with sudo, but it requires a complete reinstall of all my machines. I just can’t be bothered for what hopefully is a temporary problem.

The Ventura kext issue notwithstanding, it doesn’t explain why ports have stopped attaching on the Monterey machine.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

GrumpyDragon wrote:it doesn’t explain why ports have stopped attaching on the Monterey machine.
As explained above, in order for something to have stopped working, it must previously have worked. You have not established that, and it runs counter to current knowledge of Ventura.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

GrumpyDragon wrote:it requires a complete reinstall re-registering of all my machines.
FTFY. Super-easy to do: Main Virtualbox window, Machine menu, Add, browse to VM's .vbox file, Select the .vbox file, Open.
GrumpyDragon

Post by GrumpyDragon »

scottgus1 wrote:
GrumpyDragon wrote:it requires a complete reinstall re-registering of all my machines.
FTFY. Super-easy to do: Main Virtualbox window, Machine menu, Add, browse to VM's .vbox file, Select the .vbox file, Open.
Aaah, I see. I'll give that a try.

Edit - and it worked. Many thanks, I can now attached USB ports and I've been able to update my apps database accordingly. :)