Copy/paste issues more frequent after VM upgrade to Ubuntu 22.04 (jammy)

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
arQon
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 16.04 x64, W7

Re: Copy/paste issues more frequent after VM upgrade to Ubuntu 22.04 (jammy)

Post by arQon »

Fairly unhelpful of me, but I ran into what seems likely to be the same "stalled" clipboard problem a week or so ago. Killing and restarting the --clipboard processes brought it back to life, as hoped (but I was in a rush and didn't have time to find this thread, so I forgot the -d part).

The small nugget of information that I can provide though is that saving the machine state is not the root cause, because I never do that but encountered the problem anyway. (Albeit only once in what is now several months, though I'm on 6.1.42, slightly newer than fencekicker's setup).
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

FWIW, the "-d" (*) is only important if the additional log file is not written to (**), because then you need the VBoxClient program to run in the foreground to at least output its log messages in the terminal.

(*) The "-d" is a little bit mean, because it equals "--nodaemon". ;)
(**) IDK why this happens to some users, but not to me. ;) Can you find out why it happens to you?
arQon

Post by arQon »

Ah, that explains it. I ran it from a terminal, expecting it to behave "normally" :P and intending to background it once I'd checked that the clipboard was working again. Since it didn't produce any output at all, and daemonized itself, and everything started working again, I decided the curiosity could wait for another day and didn't bother with it any further.

I'll hopefully be more in the mood to investigate next time it happens, but the failure is so infrequent (like I say, only once in several months so far) that TBH I doubt it's likely unless it catches me on a very slow day.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

arQon wrote: 12. Jul 2023, 05:42 I'll hopefully be more in the mood to investigate next time it happens
Ah, it looks like I misunderstood your post and you misunderstood my request:

I didn't mean to ask you to investigate the copy&paste issue (*), which happens sometimes, but to investigate why my commands do not lead to the logging file being written to, which happens always for some users.

Does clipboard logging to a file work for you? With "-d" in my command the "/tmp/clipboard.log" file should contain the same information as the terminal where the command was executed.

(*) Although I wouldn't reject that, of course. ;)
arQon

Post by arQon »

fth0 wrote: 12. Jul 2023, 09:27 Ah, it looks like I misunderstood your post and you misunderstood my request:
No, and no, I think. :)

Like I say, I'll investigate next time it happens if it's at a more convenient time, but since I didn't go *looking* for the logfile last time I have no idea yet which of those two groups I'm in. :)