[solved] No mouse integration, the rest works OK

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.

[solved] No mouse integration, the rest works OK

Postby snowcat » 25. Oct 2008, 12:36

Hi,
I've installed an Ubuntu 8.10 RC guest on a Mac (Leopard) host, and then installed the guest additions (installation went fine, no errors).

Shared folders work, screen resizing works, seamless mode works (unusable though it be without mouse integration), but I have no mouse integration - the option to disable it is simply greyed out, and it continues to behave just as it did before I installed the guest additions. I'm using the latest (2.0.4) version of VirtualBox.

If anyone has a similar experience or any idea, I would be most grateful.
Last edited by snowcat on 25. Oct 2008, 22:18, edited 1 time in total.
snowcat
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 24. Oct 2008, 22:08

Re: No mouse integration on Ubuntu 8.10 guest, the rest work

Postby vondralbra » 25. Oct 2008, 19:26

snowcat wrote:Hi,
I've installed an Ubuntu 8.10 RC guest on a Mac (Leopard) host, and then installed the guest additions (installation went fine, no errors).

Shared folders work, screen resizing works, seamless mode works (unusable though it be without mouse integration), but I have no mouse integration - the option to disable it is simply greyed out, and it continues to behave just as it did before I installed the guest additions. I'm using the latest (2.0.4) version of VirtualBox.

If anyone has a similar experience or any idea, I would be most grateful.


Yup - same thing here. Intrepid Guest and Intrepid Host. Both RC with most recent upgrades. Xorg.0.log knows the following as far as the mouse is regarded:

Code: Select all   Expand viewCollapse view
(II) config/hal: Adding input device Macintosh mouse button emulation
(II) LoadModule: "evdev"

(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input//evdev_drv.so
(II) Module evdev: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
        compiled for 1.5.2, module version = 2.0.99
        Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
        ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 2.1


Seems like the xorg-HAL does not recognize the vboxmouse_drv.so correctly or refuses to use it for some unclear reasons.

I'll dig further into it.

Best regards

vda
vondralbra
 
Posts: 15
Joined: 22. Oct 2008, 10:31
Primary OS: Debian Lenny
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux

Postby vondralbra » 25. Oct 2008, 20:11

back from diggin:
Normally this should not be neccessary, but it worked in my case:
On the guest machine:

1.) Verify that your /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/ on the guest contains in fact a vboxmouse_drv.so file.
Code: Select all   Expand viewCollapse view
oot@oraub32:~# ls -la /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/vbox*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 186664 2008-10-25 19:30 /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/vboxmouse_drv.so


2.) sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

3.) paste those lines into your xorg.conf
Code: Select all   Expand viewCollapse view
Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier   "Configured Mouse"
   Driver       "vboxmouse"
   Option       "CorePointer"
EndSection


4.) restart your X-Sesson of the guest.

As said before: Normally this should not be neccessary as xorg 7.4 recognizes the hardware - but it seems like this is not always the case.

Best regards

vda
vondralbra
 
Posts: 15
Joined: 22. Oct 2008, 10:31
Primary OS: Debian Lenny
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux

Postby snowcat » 25. Oct 2008, 21:39

Thanks for the reply!
Unfortunately, this does not work for me. I verified as you said in step 1, but adding the lines to xorg.conf resulted in X crashing and VB informing me that "the guest OS does not support mouse pointer integration in the current video mode". Ubuntu instead booted in low-graphics mode, saying that the screen, graphics card and input device settings could not be detected correctly.

I'm kind of new with this, so be patient with me :)
At any rate thanks for the help so far!
snowcat
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 24. Oct 2008, 22:08

Postby JQW » 25. Oct 2008, 21:55

I installed the latest RC earlier today, and had the same problem after installing the additions.

However after installing all outstanding updates and restarting the mouse now appears to work fine.
JQW
 
Posts: 12
Joined: 20. Aug 2008, 14:24

Postby snowcat » 25. Oct 2008, 22:17

Thanks very much, that did the trick!
snowcat
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 24. Oct 2008, 22:08

Postby nabamer. » 31. Oct 2008, 13:04

vondralbra wrote:[...]
Code: Select all   Expand viewCollapse view
Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier   "Configured Mouse"
   Driver       "vboxmouse"
   Option       "CorePointer"
EndSection
[...]

Worked perfect for me, thanks a lot vondralbra
nabamer.
 

Postby josswinn » 4. Nov 2008, 18:42

nabamer. wrote:
vondralbra wrote:[...]
Code: Select all   Expand viewCollapse view
Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier   "Configured Mouse"
   Driver       "vboxmouse"
   Option       "CorePointer"
EndSection
[...]

Worked perfect for me, thanks a lot vondralbra



Just to add that on an OS X Leopard host with CentOS 5.2 guest, this was necessary for me to have seamless mouse integration.
josswinn
 
Posts: 1
Joined: 4. Nov 2008, 18:38

Postby vrol » 7. Nov 2008, 16:35

vondralbra wrote:back from diggin:
Normally this should not be neccessary, but it worked in my case:
On the guest machine:

1.) Verify that your /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/ on the guest contains in fact a vboxmouse_drv.so file.
Code: Select all   Expand viewCollapse view
oot@oraub32:~# ls -la /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/vbox*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 186664 2008-10-25 19:30 /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/vboxmouse_drv.so


2.) sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

3.) paste those lines into your xorg.conf
Code: Select all   Expand viewCollapse view
Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier   "Configured Mouse"
   Driver       "vboxmouse"
   Option       "CorePointer"
EndSection


4.) restart your X-Sesson of the guest.

As said before: Normally this should not be neccessary as xorg 7.4 recognizes the hardware - but it seems like this is not always the case.

Best regards

vda


Thanks!
Your solution worked fine for me.
vrol
 
Posts: 1
Joined: 7. Nov 2008, 16:31

Postby diavolgr » 14. Nov 2008, 03:04

worked for me too. Thanks
Hacking is like having SPAM_SEARCH. You get in, you get out, then you hope that you didn't leave something behind that can be traced back to you
diavolgr
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 6. Mar 2008, 10:30

Re: [solved] No mouse integration, the rest works OK

Postby tcgfink » 27. Jun 2009, 00:16

I followed everything vrol specified, yet my mouse integration still does not work. The xorg.conf file is working to some degree, because I adjusted the resolution and that took effect. The first time I put the "vboxmouse" block into xorg.conf, the system crashed just as snowcat described. But then I went back and re-pasted the "vboxmouse" block into xorg.conf, and the system started just fine, but I still didn't have mouse integration! Is there anyone else out there who has had a similar experience?

(My host OS is Windows XP, and I'm running Ubuntu 9.04 as the guest. My version of VirtualBox is 2.2.4).
tcgfink
 
Posts: 1
Joined: 27. Jun 2009, 00:09
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 9.04

Re: [solved] No mouse integration, the rest works OK

Postby JosephSpokes » 13. Jan 2010, 18:04

Yes tcgfink I was having the same problem but I followed vondralbr's instructions and it worked great. It seems to be the best solution.

Observe their tinnitus miracle or simply the foregoing fat burning furnace and then buy the diet solution to generate living.
Last edited by JosephSpokes on 14. Jul 2011, 19:08, edited 6 times in total.
JosephSpokes
 
Posts: 2
Joined: 13. Jan 2010, 17:20
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: 3.1.0

Re: [solved] No mouse integration, the rest works OK

Postby vedyakoff » 27. Jan 2010, 15:34

Hi everyone.

I've got the same issue, but i can't follow the intructions above. The file /etc/X11/xorg.conf doesn't exist!!!!

My guest is Debian Squeeze, kernel 2.6.32, window system is kde-minimal

The ls of /etc/X11 is:
app-defaults
cursors
default-display-manager
fonts
rgb.txt
X
xkb
Xresources
Xsession
Xsession.d
Xsession.options
XvMCConfig
Xwrapper.config

Ecxept mouse integration everything is great, even the clipboard. The menu item "Disable mouse integration" is grey and locked.

Any gueses?
vedyakoff
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 3. Dec 2009, 16:26
Primary OS: Debian Lenny
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Win Servers and Win7

Re: [solved] No mouse integration, the rest works OK

Postby wordeater » 29. Jan 2010, 18:56

create an empty xorg.conf in /etc/X11 and stick the section in the blank file

X11 will auto-detect everything else like it already does, and will pick up the mouse config from the file

it worked for me, anyway
wordeater
 
Posts: 1
Joined: 29. Jan 2010, 18:54
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Debian, OpenSolaris

Re: [solved] No mouse integration, the rest works OK

Postby alex266 » 9. Oct 2010, 15:46

Got this problem.

Tried what vondralbra said, but I got this:
[root@localhost ~]# ls -la /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/vbox*
ls: cannot access /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/vbox*: No such file or directory


Host is Windows 7, guest is Fedora 13.
alex266
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 9. Oct 2010, 15:42
Location: W. Sussex, England
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: Linux (Fedora)

Next

Return to Linux Guests

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests