VB 7.0.0 adds a macOS profile

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
chas4

VB 7.0.0 adds a macOS profile

Post by chas4 »

Any reason why Oracle added a profile for macOS to the installer for VIrtualBox 7.0.0?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VB 7.0.0 adds a macOS profile

Post by mpack »

Literally: what are you talking about?

AFAICS: minor technical details aside, the level of VirtualBox support for MacOS hosts and guests is the same as it has always been, pretty much.
chas4

Post by chas4 »

Oracle added a profile with version 7.0.0, see attached. The profile is inside the installer.
Attachments
macOS profile from Oracle VIrtualBox 7
macOS profile from Oracle VIrtualBox 7
irmjfqQn.jpg-large.jpeg (52.97 KiB) Viewed 7701 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Is this in a Mac OS window or a Virtualbox window?

It could be because Virtualbox is trying to use Apple's native hypervisor system and not use kexts anymore. See the changelog.
chas4

Post by chas4 »

scottgus1 wrote:Is this in a Mac OS window or a Virtualbox window?

It could be because Virtualbox is trying to use Apple's native hypervisor system and not use kexts anymore. See the changelog.
Oracle VirtualBox 7.0.0 installer adds a provisioning profile to macOS (those are use din enterprise and sometimes with Apple for troubleshooting), that can be seen in macOS System Preferences. There is nothing in the changelog https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Changelog-7.0#v00 about profiles being added.

I am wondering if it is a left over (Oracle internal use only) from debugging that was not supposed to be in the released version.
kapitainsky

Post by kapitainsky »

I can confirm that I see the same - new Oracle profile... and no word anywhere what it is for. Profile in theory can contain any settings changing computer behavior - e.g. new SSL root certificates. I do not suspect Oracle any mischievous behavior here but would be better if explained somewhere what it is needed for.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I'm sure Scott has it correctly. It has to do with the new way in which VirtualBox interacts with MacOS, i.e. avoiding all kexts that have been the source of trouble in the past. This decision is mentioned in the changelog, I would not expect to hear all of the technical ramifications.
chas4

Post by chas4 »

mpack wrote:I'm sure Scott has it correctly. It is to do with the new way in which VirtualBox interacts with MacOS, i.e. avoiding all kexts that have been the source of trouble in the past. This decision is mentioned in the changelog, I would not expect to hear all of the technical ramifications.
Parallels is not using a Profile and they are using the native VM code from Apple, and that looks like an internal profile which is used to manage devices https://support.apple.com/guide/?platfo ... rsion=11.0 in an enterprise or with Apple for troubleshooting. The profile is not mentioned in the change log at all.

I think the profile is part of the debug teams machine/s and not supposed to be in the released version. Why is there a team name on the profile, would point to it being an internal profile?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

If this is in fact a leftover from the devs, please post this in Discuss the VirtualBox 7.0.0 release so the devs can see it.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

chas4 wrote:Any reason why Oracle added a profile for macOS to the installer for VIrtualBox 7.0.0?
The given answers were correct so far. I'll add a few additional details:

With the provisioning profile, Apple gives VirtualBox the entitlements to use the Hypervisor, vmnet and IOUSBHost APIs, which are needed by any hypervisor not using kernel extensions. In consequence, VirtualBox 7.0 needs this provisioning profile to run any VM on macOS hosts.
chas4

Post by chas4 »

fth0 wrote:
chas4 wrote:Any reason why Oracle added a profile for macOS to the installer for VIrtualBox 7.0.0?
The given answers were correct so far. I'll add a few additional details:

With the provisioning profile, Apple gives VirtualBox the entitlements to use the Hypervisor, vmnet and IOUSBHost APIs, which are needed by any hypervisor not using kernel extensions. In consequence, VirtualBox 7.0 needs this provisioning profile to run any VM on macOS hosts.
Parallels is not using a profile and they are able to use the Apple Hypervisor and others (tho Parallels resource controls lacks compared to VirtualBox's)
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Parallels != Virtualbox. :wink: How they and Apple have arranged to do things is probably different than how Virtualbox has to do things.

The question about the presence of the profile is an "XY problem". The real question should be,

"What is the problem being caused on chas4's Mac by the presence of the profile?"
chas4

Post by chas4 »

scottgus1 wrote:Parallels != Virtualbox. :wink: How they and Apple have arranged to do things is probably different than how Virtualbox has to do things.

The question about the presence of the profile is an "XY problem". The real question should be,

"What is the problem being caused on chas4's Mac by the presence of the profile?"
Profiles on macOS are used with MDM (mobile device management) or debugging. Parallels is using the same Apple Hypervisor that VirtualBox 7.0.0 does.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Once again, because you missed it:
Parallels != Virtualbox.
And in case you don't grasp the point:
Parallels developers != Virtualbox developers.
Different devs, different methods, different enforced constraints, different everything.

My point stands, and my question remains unanswered. One more post with the answer is expected, otherwise, lock time.
kapitainsky

Post by kapitainsky »

Hi @scottgus1,

You are 100% right but would be nice if these concerns filter to release team and are addressed in the next release notes - quick note that we use macOS profiles for XYZ reason. It is indeed very unusual to use profiles by any applications - does not mean that there is anything wrong with it.