Sound Mutes And Never Comes Back

Temporary forum to discuss issues and problems during a VirtualBox Beta or Release Candidate phase.
Khun_Doug

Sound Mutes And Never Comes Back

Post by Khun_Doug »

Using VB 7.0.0 BETA1153424 on Windows 11 host, VB guest is also Windows 11.I have also experienced this on earlier builds of VB. Steps to reproduce:

1. Have the host started and start the VB VM.
2. Open a browser and stream music (I am using SiriusXM)
-- Note that the VB VM is adjusted to never allow the display to go black/off, the display is always on
3. Allow enough time for the host to enter power save for the display - it turns off all the displays

At this point the guest is muted/silent. And I have no set of steps to bring the sound back. I can see the VB VM display and the display is clearly active and responsive. The only mechanism that resolves the problem is to power-cycle the VB VM. At that point the sound will work again.

This problem does NOT happen on the host while it is playing music. I have tested foobar2000 and streaming using FireFox to access SiriusXM. The displays eventually go into power-save and the host continues to play music without issue. The same is true for VMware virtual machines. I have tested streaming SiriusXM from a browser inside a VMware guest and the music continues to play.

Logs from the VB VM are attached as a 7z file.
Attachments
Logs.7z
(228.2 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: VirtualBox+Oracle ExtPack
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Sound Mutes And Never Comes Back

Post by scottgus1 »

Khun_Doug wrote:I have also experienced this on earlier builds of VB.
This aspect means that this issue predates the 7.0 Beta and should be handled in the main forum. Please try the latest regular release, 6.1.38, and see if the problem happens on that version. If so, please repost this in the Windows Hosts forum, with a VM log from 6.1.38 where the audio problem occurs. Also, post what host audio channel you were playing through: HDMI, USB, analog line out, etc.