[Feature removed] No snapshot restore on power off any more?

Temporary forum to discuss issues and problems during a VirtualBox Beta or Release Candidate phase.
birdie
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, other Unixes

[Feature removed] No snapshot restore on power off any more?

Post by birdie »

All the previous versions of VirtualBox allowed to restore to the previous snapshot on Power Off.

VirtualBox 7.0 does not offer this feature. Is this intentional? Looks like a bug.

The OS on the screen was created in an older VirtualBox version. I could restore to the previous snapshot in version 6.1.36.
Attachments
No snapshot restore.png
No snapshot restore.png (58.81 KiB) Viewed 22586 times
Last edited by birdie on 29. Sep 2022, 01:57, edited 1 time in total.
birdie

Re: No snapshot restore on power off any more? Why?

Post by birdie »

Still broken/missing in Beta 2.
okcrum
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Windows, Solaris, OpenIndiana

Post by okcrum »

Save/restore VM works fine for me, although slowly, from BETA2 running Windows 11 under Ubuntu 22.04. I would not necessarily expect VirtualBox 7 to be able to restore saved snapshots from earlier versions.

Chuck
birdie

Post by birdie »

okcrum wrote:Save/restore VM works fine for me, although slowly, from BETA2 running Windows 11 under Ubuntu 22.04. I would not necessarily expect VirtualBox 7 to be able to restore saved snapshots from earlier versions.

Chuck
In previous VBox versions you could restore from the VM power off menu.

This feature is gone in VBox 7. I don't understand what you're talking about.
okcrum

Post by okcrum »

birdie wrote:

Selecting START on the SAVED VM from Virtualbox Snapshot menu or clicking tthe VM's desktop shortcut both restore the snapshot. Are you unable to do either of these in BETA2? If not, what is your actual complaint? Is it that a redundant menu choice has been removed?

EDIT: Note the state of VM is Paused, not Saved, in your screenshot. You need to uncheck Pause to resume in that case.
birdie

Post by birdie »

okcrum wrote:
birdie wrote:

Selecting START on the SAVED VM from Virtualbox Snapshot menu or clicking tthe VM's desktop shortcut both restore the snapshot. Are you unable to do either of these in BETA2? If not, what is your actual complaint? Is it that a redundant menu choice has been removed?

EDIT: Note the state of VM is Paused, not Saved, in your screenshot. You need to uncheck Pause to resume in that case.
This is what I had in VBox 5 and 6:
quick-restore-snapshot-virtualbox.png
quick-restore-snapshot-virtualbox.png (18.7 KiB) Viewed 22256 times
This feature is gone in VBox 7.
Last edited by birdie on 18. Sep 2022, 12:25, edited 1 time in total.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

birdie wrote: Maybe you don't speak English I don't know.
Maybe that is abuse, I don't know. If it is then please cut it out.
birdie

Post by birdie »

mpack wrote:
birdie wrote: Maybe you don't speak English I don't know.
Maybe that is abuse, I don't know. If it is then please cut it out.
The person definitely doesn't understand what I'm talking about - what can I say? I've edited the message if that's impolite. I didn't mean it to be an insult, I was curious.
okcrum

Post by okcrum »

birdie wrote:The person definitely doesn't understand what I'm talking about - what can I say? I've edited the message if that's impolite. I didn't mean it to be an insult, I was curious.
No offense taken. I understand perfectly. You're reporting a bug about a redundant menu choice that has been removed.
birdie

Post by birdie »

okcrum wrote:
birdie wrote:The person definitely doesn't understand what I'm talking about - what can I say? I've edited the message if that's impolite. I didn't mean it to be an insult, I was curious.
No offense taken. I understand perfectly. You're reporting a bug about a redundant menu choice that has been removed.
That's not a menu, it's a pop-up.

It's not redundant. Now instead of reverting to the previous snapshot I first have to power off the guest and then revert to the snapshot which is super inconvenient.

I use most of my VMs this way. I don't want/need to save their state after finishing working with them.
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

It is not a bug in the usual sense. There was a discussion with the GUI team on this topic during work on VirtualBox 7, and the feature was considered a problematic feature (there were complaints about data loss by users who didn't realize that they had the checkbox ticked previously - the state of it was remembered as you probably know). Therefore it was removed completely to make the use of VirtualBox more safe.

We know that any such change (no matter what we do) will make someone have to change his workflow. In this case needing to use the "snapshots" tool (or just to mention it: start the GUI from command line with option --restore-current).
birdie

Post by birdie »

klaus wrote:It is not a bug in the usual sense. There was a discussion with the GUI team on this topic during work on VirtualBox 7, and the feature was considered a problematic feature (there were complaints about data loss by users who didn't realize that they had the checkbox ticked previously - the state of it was remembered as you probably know). Therefore it was removed completely to make the use of VirtualBox more safe.

We know that any such change (no matter what we do) will make someone have to change his workflow. In this case needing to use the "snapshots" tool (or just to mention it: start the GUI from command line with option --restore-current).
Can you make this feature a hidden option in VirtualBox.xml please? Something like

Code: Select all

ExtraDataItem name="GUI/ShowSnapshotUIOnPowerOff" value="true"/>
It's like a few extra lines of code.

Let those who are confused deal with snapshots, many would like it back.
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

Let's not get into arguments about the numbers of users who actually use this feature actively (we don't have such information, and I don't think you have it either).

We don't have exactly the extradata flag you're hinting at. The checkbox has been removed from the codebase. But you can provide the flag which the checkbox handled through extradata: set "GUI/DiscardStateOnPowerOff" to 1 (works for specific VM or globally). Use VBoxManage for that, don't edit the .vbox settings file directly. And keep in mind that whatever you set will be used on every VM poweroff through the GUI dialog (you can remove the extradata key before powering off if necessary).
birdie

Post by birdie »

klaus wrote:Let's not get into arguments about the numbers of users who actually use this feature actively (we don't have such information, and I don't think you have it either).

We don't have exactly the extradata flag you're hinting at. The checkbox has been removed from the codebase. But you can provide the flag which the checkbox handled through extradata: set "GUI/DiscardStateOnPowerOff" to 1 (works for specific VM or globally). Use VBoxManage for that, don't edit the .vbox settings file directly. And keep in mind that whatever you set will be used on every VM poweroff through the GUI dialog (you can remove the extradata key before powering off if necessary).
Understood, that's sad to hear :( What was zero clicks away previously, now requires multiple actions.

You could mention this in the changelog, so that people didn't pester you with questions.
JustinH

Re: [Feature removed] No snapshot restore on power off any more?

Post by JustinH »

This is sad. I use this functionality every day. It is so efficient.