Scaled mode: please keep aspect ratio

Temporary forum to discuss issues and problems during a VirtualBox Beta or Release Candidate phase.
Technologov
Volunteer

Scaled mode: please keep aspect ratio

Post by Technologov »

for legacy gaming, it would help me a LOT to have some kind of scaled mode with correct aspect ratio.
This is to emulate 320x240, 640x480 and 800x600 on modern wide-screen displays. It must have black bars around the scaled mode screen / image.

Even better would be to introduce a new "Full-screen scaled mode with correct aspect ratio".
---
Now this item may be called a "feature" or a "bug", but this feature is not really working for me.

screenshot:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ngrfayvfi8fq ... n.jpg?dl=0
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Re: Scaled mode: please keep aspect ratio

Post by klaus »

Just don't use scaled mode if you don't like its quirks (if a few things wouldn't have happened in this world then it would've been likely that scaled mode would've been removed). The GUI offers other ways of scaling, and those keep the aspect ratio.
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

>The GUI offers other ways of scaling, and those keep the aspect ratio.

Which ways ? Especially for full-screen ? There are none, that I'm aware of.

"keep aspect ratio" is really about adding black borders, vertical or horizontal, around the main image / guest display.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: VirtualBox+Oracle ExtPack
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

FWIW the Scaled mode window, un-maximized, can be stretched to eyeballed 4:3 size. A "Lock Aspect Ratio" option would be nice, though. Time to crack out the user code contribution :lol: