VirtualBox manager takes 30 seconds to open

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
b1naryman

VirtualBox manager takes 30 seconds to open

Post by b1naryman »

VBox manager has a 30 second lag before the UI shows. It's fine after that, and the VMs run fine. This is probably caused by an update, but I can't say for certain. I don't use VBox that often, so I can't pinpoint when this behavior started. I'm running Version 6.1.32_Ubuntu r149290, Qt5.12.8. It's not really affecting anything operationally, but it's annoying. All search results I get regardless of how I word the query are for VMs running slow. My VMs are fine, and have a dedicated 970 EVO SSD. My system disk checks out fine and VBox manager is the only application that has performance issues. I can uninstall and reinstall, but it would be nice if can avoid that. Any ideas are appreciated.
Screenshot from 2022-04-12 06-43-15.png
Screenshot from 2022-04-12 06-43-15.png (62.67 KiB) Viewed 1029 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: VirtualBox+Oracle ExtPack
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VirtualBox manager takes 30 seconds to open

Post by scottgus1 »

b1naryman wrote:I'm running Version 6.1.32_Ubuntu r149290
This means you're running Ubuntu's fork, not the official Virtualbox from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads. Ubuntu supports their forks, we support official.
b1naryman wrote:I can uninstall and reinstall, but it would be nice if can avoid that.
For help to go further, considering the issue you're inquiring about, we might just have to do this. If you do decide to install official, please completely uninstall the fork and reboot. Then install official's prerequisites https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch02. ... nux-prereq then official Virtualbox.

A host backup would be good, because computers etc.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: VirtualBox+Oracle ExtPack
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: VirtualBox manager takes 30 seconds to open

Post by fth0 »

Please reproduce the behavior and provide the (zipped) contents of ~/.config/VirtualBox, which contains the VBoxSVC.log* and selectorwindow.log* files.