Windows 11 build 2281 crash

For discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows pre-releases (e.g. Windows 10 > build 10240).
pe1uca

Windows 11 build 2281 crash

Post by pe1uca »

Last night my windows updated to the latest insider build.
Today when I tried to start my VM it crashed, not only virtualbox, but the whole OS with a BSoD (actually it was green)

Stop code: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
What failed: winhvr.sys

I already had had issues with hypervisor, so I knew where to look for a solution.

Every other place tells to disable hypervisor platform and enable virtual machine, I did that in hopes it worked this time, but no, same OS crash.

This is what worked: disable both of them
VM running showing Windows Features
VM running showing Windows Features
windows11_features.png (58.99 KiB) Viewed 10408 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Windows 11 build 2281 crash

Post by scottgus1 »

Thanks for the info! Moving this to Pre-releases, since insider builds aren't supported.
pe1uca wrote:I already had had issues with hypervisor, so I knew where to look for a solution.
You might notice in the linked topic the "Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active)" tutorial link, where it is stated that turning off things in Windows Features very often does not turn off all things requiring Hyper-V.

The tutorial also recommends the bcdedit command and what to do if the command does not work. How did those suggestions work out for you?
pe1uca

Post by pe1uca »

You might notice in the linked topic the "Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active)" tutorial link, where it is stated that turning off things in Windows Features very often does not turn off all things requiring Hyper-V.

The tutorial also recommends the bcdedit command and what to do if the command does not work. How did those suggestions work out for you?

Yeah, if the original topic hadn't been locked I could've explained the topic you just mentioned didn't work at the time.

I'm doing this post in hopes that people that found my original solution worked now know what to do from that configuration since this topic didn't work the first time and people needed to do the exact opposite, enable hyper-v.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

pe1uca wrote:people needed to do the exact opposite, enable hyper-v.
VirtualBox never requires Hyper-v. VirtualBox can sometimes suffer Hyper-v being present, but it's a competing platform and never required.
pe1uca

Post by pe1uca »

I've read that in the rest of the posts, but I don't know what else to tell you, at least I'm aware of other one that required to enable hypervisor for virtualbox to work, if it was disabled ti wouldn't.
You can check the previous thread to validate it viewtopic.php?f=38&t=103259#p504664
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

IIRC, this was a case of Hyper-V being only partially installed, with the consequence of VirtualBox not functioning at all. When Hyper-V is installed completely, VirtualBox can work better than that. But when Hyper-V is not installed at all, VirtualBox usually works best, by a very large margin. ;)