Is it possible to restore a windows 10 home backup inside a virtual machine?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: Is it possible to restore a windows 10 home backup inside a virtual machine?

Post by fth0 »

Regarding the time synchronization, take a look at 9.11.4. Disabling the Guest Additions Time Synchronization.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Is it possible to restore a windows 10 home backup inside a virtual machine?

Post by mpack »

IMO time sync is a separate subject from clock (RTC) control, which the OP appeared to me to ask about.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

Ok, I see now that my previous statement on its own wasn't clear enough. Let me elaborate on some building blocks for possible workflows:

Guest OS clock initialization from the RTC: When you start a VirtualBox VM, the virtual RTC gets initialized with a date/time derived from the host's clock. If you boot the VM from an ISO file with a temporary guest OS, set the virtual RTC to another date/time and then reboot the VM from the virtual hard disk with the original guest OS, the guest OS clock will be initialized with the date/time of the virtual RTC and never sees the real date/time (if you additionally pulled the virtual network cable beforehand to prevent NTP ;)).

Guest OS clock updates by the guest OS: Modern guest OSes have a date/time synchronization service, which usually can be disabled. Setting the date/time manually afterwards will also set the virtual RTC.

Guest OS clock updates by VirtualBox: VirtualBox also has a date/time synchronization service, which can be disabled beforehand, as documented in 9.11.4. Disabling the Guest Additions Time Synchronization.
einstein1969

Post by einstein1969 »

@mpack

Thanks for the answer.
Regarding the first question: I tried as fth0 said and I also took your advice: 1) I disabled the network. 2) I started the virtual machine from cd with the windows installation iso inside and started the recovery environment with command prompt and I gave the command "date". Then without rebooting I restored the machine and it worked. (I don't use guest additions at the moment).

For the second question: As I wrote earlier I make backups from the physical windows machine. And I want to restore these backups to the virtual machine to be able to work on them. Now it seems to me that the only way we talked about doing a restore was to access the recovery files via a VHD file that had to be created and filled (copy the backup files of the physical machine into it) and then attach it to the virtual machine to do the restore.
My question is whether it was possible to access the backup files either via the network or via VISO. I hope I have clarified the reasons and what I would like to do.
Anyway I will try via the net even if I don't know how to start and if it is performing.
The way of VISO seems to me too difficult for me. At least I would need to know the list (DIR) of the files to collect around and to insert in the directory structure.

@ fth0 thanks to you too I did as you said. When I add the guest additions I try to use the command to block the synchronization if I need to. I need to block the time because the machine just started does the automatic cleaning of some parts that I need.