Can't get the GUI to start

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
NotANickName

Can't get the GUI to start

Post by NotANickName »

I followed all the instructions here: How to Run macOS on Windows 10 in a Virtual Machine
After starting the VM all I get is a command screen which I have attached. I'm not sure what else to provide. I did remove the machine and did it all over again with the same results.
Attachments
Screenshot of output
Screenshot of output
Screenshot 2020-12-06 131918.png (34.68 KiB) Viewed 3506 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Can't get the GUI to start

Post by scottgus1 »

Windows host OS running a Mac guest is only allowed if the physical computer is real Mac hardware.
OSX guests on non-Apple hardware

If you really do have a Mac computer, please post a zipped guest vbox.log using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.

If you were trying a Hackintosh, we can't help. Just let us know and we'll lock this topic.
NotANickName

Post by NotANickName »

I don't follow that. Why would I want to run Mac OS if I already had a Mac? To try out a new version?

For that matter, why is this not specified in VB as soon as somebody picks "MacOS"? This would have saved me a LOT of time. Not to mention the author of that article I followed.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

NotANickName wrote:Why would I want to run Mac OS if I already had a Mac?
You'll have to ask the folks in Mac Hosts, they do Mac on Mac all the time. And it's the only legal way to run a Mac guest.
NotANickName wrote:why is this not specified in VB as soon as somebody picks "MacOS"?
Good question. You can ask the devs on the Bugtracker. Such a warning would have to be baked into the source code, and if Apple changes their EULA there would be a slew of released versions with the wrong check in them.
NotANickName wrote:Not to mention the author of that article I followed.
There's a lot of folks that do stuff they're not allowed to... :lol:

Since this is not Mac on Mac we have to lock this topic.