Can a Mac guest really be used?

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
ptram

Can a Mac guest really be used?

Post by ptram »

Hi,

I've been using VB on my Macs to run Windows, and I find it great. It is not as fast as a real machine, but it is perfectly usable for doing some work.

I'm trying to setup a Mac guest in my Mac, and it seems that the support is not as good. The guest is very slow, and the system is not stable at all (frequently restarting).

Is it still a work in progress, or should I insist and try to configure it to use it?

Paolo
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Re: Can a Mac guest really be used?

Post by granada29 »

ptram wrote: Is it still a work in progress, or should I insist and try to configure it to use it?
I think that depends on what you want to do with it. I use Mac VMs for for testing backward compatibility of software that I develop. I use VMs for testing from Yosemite (macos 10.10) through Mojave (10.14) plus a few older ones for historical interest.

Yes - they can be quite slow but it's better than having a bunch of old hardware for the job.

I don't use the Darwin guest additions.

I have found that enabling screen sharing in the macOS guest, then attaching to it with screen sharing from the host gives good results. Screen/File Sharing makes it very easy to transfer files to and from the VM without having to dearl with VirtualBox Shared Folders

I set the VM screen resolution to 1920x1080
I usually configure 6GB of RAM, 3 CPU and 128 MB VMRam - you have to be careful to not overcomit your host resources.
Networking is bridged so I pick up an IP address just like any other host on my LAN
Audio disabled
USB 3

Hope that helps
ptram

Post by ptram »

granada29 wrote: Hope that helps
Yes, thank you! It helps considering the various issues, the pros and the cons.

Paolo
dtpoirot

Post by dtpoirot »

I use macOS VMs on a 15" mid 2011 MacBook Pro.

I use it for integration testing of new product releases.

I generally use one CPU core LESS than are available - for example, on a four CPU core Mac, I will provision two or three CPU cores.

See:
https://github.com/AlexanderWillner/run ... VirtualBox

Works fine.

- dan