VBox 3.0.6 on Snow Leopard 10.6.1 hangs

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
heyes
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: LinuxMint

Re: VBox 3.0.6 on Snow Leopard 10.6.1 hangs

Post by heyes »

Could this be a problem with the VirtualBox.xml file?

The working version, ~/Library/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.xml is:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!-- Sun VirtualBox Global Configuration -->
<VirtualBox xmlns="http://www.innotek.de/VirtualBox-settings" version="1.7-macosx">
<Global>
<MachineRegistry/>
<MediaRegistry/>
<NetserviceRegistry>
<DHCPServers>
<DHCPServer networkName="HostInterfaceNetworking-vboxnet0" IPAddress="192.168.56.100" networkMask="255.255.255.0" lowerIP="192.168.56.101" upperIP="192.168.56.254" enabled="1"/>
</DHCPServers>
</NetserviceRegistry>
<USBDeviceFilters/>
<SystemProperties/>
<ExtraData>
<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/UpdateCheckCount" value="2"/>
<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/UpdateDate" value="1 d, 2009-09-19"/>
<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/SUNOnlineData" value="triesLeft=0"/>
<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/LastWindowPosition" value="894,124,770,550"/>
</ExtraData>
</Global>
</VirtualBox>

The broken one is:
<VirtualBox xmlns="http://www.innotek.de/VirtualBox-settings" version="1.7-macosx">
<Global>
<MachineRegistry/>
<MediaRegistry/>
<NetserviceRegistry>
<DHCPServers>
<DHCPServer networkName="HostInterfaceNetworking-vboxnet0" IPAddress="192.168.56.100" networkMask="255.255.255.0" lowerIP="192.168.56.101" upperIP="192.168.56.254" enabled="1"/>
</DHCPServers>
</NetserviceRegistry>
<USBDeviceFilters/>
<SystemProperties/>
<ExtraData>
<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/RegistrationDlgWinID" value="36884816"/>
</ExtraData>
</Global>
</VirtualBox>

When I copied/pasted the working VirtualBox.xml lines to the broken VirtualBox.xml and retried, it didn't hang on the welcome screen, but when I tried to create a new virtual machine it hangs there.
linxpinx
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Post by linxpinx »

HI,
i have a workaround. make a account lets say username:a password:a, whatever. switch back to your account. open terminal. type: "su a" now terminal want`s a password take the one from user a, here a too. now you are in a bubble. so you can start VB typing:"/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VirtualBox" and be happy.
But be aware, closing the terminal will stop VB, cause it is bind to the terminal. But it is very save, because you are running in a bubble.
i think you can`t copy from you host computer and paste to the machine, but i didn`t try, so maybe it works.
hopes it helps you `til VB is SnowLeopard proof.
hihihihihi
linxpinx
rpmurray
Volunteer
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 7, Mac OS X (various flavors)

Post by rpmurray »

heyes wrote:Could this be a problem with the VirtualBox.xml file?

When I copied/pasted the working VirtualBox.xml lines to the broken VirtualBox.xml and retried, it didn't hang on the welcome screen, but when I tried to create a new virtual machine it hangs there.
Make a copy of your non-working XML and take out the line:

<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/RegistrationDlgWinID" value="36884816"/>

See if it works with that.
TwisterMc
Guest OSses: XP

Post by TwisterMc »

I'm trying to run VirtualBox for the first time today and the program just hangs on the startup screen.

iMac 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo, 2 GB Memory, 10.6.1
VirtualBox 3.0.6 - Clean Install

If there's an email I can send my Mac OS crash report to I will. Don't quite feel like posting the long details here.
heyes
Guest OSses: LinuxMint

Post by heyes »

I ended up just formatting and reinstalling SL, reinstalling VB and it's working fine. Removing "<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/RegistrationDlgWinID" value="36884816"/>" might have worked, but I was having another issue with CS3 and decided to try and solve both issues at once.

TwisterMc, if you imported your previous account settings from Time Machine or another backup drive, this may be the problem. Try creating another user account, login and try to download and install VBox there. If it works, you know where the problem is.

Thanks for everyone's help!
TwisterMc

Post by TwisterMc »

I just did a Snow Leopard upgrade. No importing and no previous installs of VirtualBox.
primal1
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
Guest OSses: Windows7-RC

Post by primal1 »

I have VB 3.0.6 running under Mac OS X 10.6.1 (64-bit) and boot into Windows 7-RC okay (with only two missing driver problems, but Windows7 seems to work okay without those two drivers except I have no sound). This is on a MacPro Single Quad (Early 2009) with 3GB RAM (a "stock" bottom of the line MacPro).

heyes: In my VirtualBox.xml file I have references to "<MachineRegistry>" info, "<MediaRegistry>" info, and "<SystemProperties...>" info which you don't show in either example VirtualBox.xml file you posted. I'm just speculating here, but are you sure you configured VirtualBox 3.0.6 properly for your set up so it knows where to look for the necessary data?

For example, my VirtualBox.xml file shows these <MachineRegistry> / <MediaRegistry> / <SystemProperties...> entries (with my specifics obscured) all of which appear to be missing from both examples you posted:

<Global>
<ExtraData>
<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/UpdateCheckCount" value="16"/>
<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/UpdateDate" value="1 d, 2009-09-21"/>
<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/SUNOnlineData" value="***content obscured because I don't know if this data contains personally identifiable data***"/>
<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/SuppressMessages" value=",remindAboutAutoCapture,confirmInputCapture"/>
<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/LastWindowPostion" value="133,88,990,848"/>
<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/LastVMSelected" value="***content obscured***(DATA VALUE 'A' WENT HERE)"/>
</ExtraData>
<MachineRegistry>
<MachineEntry uuid="{***content obscured***(DATA VALUE 'A' WENT HERE)}" src="Machines/Windows7RC/Windows7RC.xml"/>
</MachineRegistry>
<MediaRegistry>
<HardDisks>
<HardDisk uuid="{***content obscured***(DATA VALUE 'B' WENT HERE)}" location="HardDisks/Windows7RC.vdi" format="VDI" type="Normal"/>
</HardDisks>
<DVDImages>
<Image uuid="{***content obscured***(DATA VALUE 'C' WENT HERE)}" location="/Users/usershortname/Desktop/7100.*********_x64fre_client_en-us_retail_ultimate-********_en_dvd.iso"/>
</DVDImages>
<FloppyImages/>
</MediaRegistry>
<NetserviceRegistry>
<DHCPServers>
<DHCPServer networkName="HostInterfaceNetworking-vboxnet0" IPAddress="xxx.xxx.xx.xxx" networkMask="xxx.xxx.xxx.x" lowerIP="xxx.xxx.xx.xxx" upperIP="xxx.xxx.xx.xxx" enabled="1"/>
</DHCPServers>
</NetserviceRegistry>
<USBDeviceFilters/>
<SystemProperties defaultMachineFolder="Machines" defaultHardDiskFolder="HardDisks" defaultHardDiskFormat="VDI" remoteDisplayAuthLibrary="VRDPAuth" webServiceAuthLibrary="VRDPAuth" LogHistoryCount="3"/>
</Global>
</VirtualBox>

Again I'm speculating, but maybe you haven't configured you VirtualBox set up correctly which is causing it to hang - that's the only idea that pops into my "VirtualBox.xml-uneducated-mind" when comparing my file example versus what you posted.

Hope some of this helps.
cforde
Guest OSses: Vista, Win 7, Ubuntu

Post by cforde »

I had the same problem.

I opened a terminal window and did a ps uwx and noticed:

Code: Select all

cforde 11162   0.0  0.4   369520   9424   ??  S    10:15pm   0:07.67 /Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VBoxSVC --pipe 9 --auto-shutdown
cforde 11159   0.0  0.1    80752   2360   ??  S    10:15pm   0:00.61 /Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VBoxXPCOMIPCD
I killed those two processes and VirtualBox no longer hung.

Hope that helps.
Carl
sagefool1975
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: ubuntu

Post by sagefool1975 »

I fixed this problem on my set up 10.6.1 and 3.0.6 by looking at the open file handles on my old user when starting vb (where it would hang) and on a guest user (where it would work.) My old user had a variety of user installed fonts /Users/ME/Library/Fonts that were being referenced. I moved those fonts to the desktop and restarted (if you don't restart the os cleverly keeps track of where you put them and keeps using them) and after restart everything works fine. Hope that helps someone.

For you console people I was using: sudo lsof | grep -i virtual | grep Users
Grepping for Users since I figured if a different user worked the app had to be accessing something in my user account that was making it choke.
larso
Guest OSses: WinXP

Post by larso »

I have exactly the same problem. Tried different configurations files as above, only improvement is that VB hangs when I try to add a new virtual machine instead of after startup. Running using a clean user doesn't help.

Snow Leopard 10.6.1, VBox 3.0.6. Clean new install of VB, recent upgrade to Snow Leopard. I havn't run VB before.
JTorres
Guest OSses: Win XP

Post by JTorres »

JTorres wrote:
avagraphique wrote:I just did a fresh install of snow leopard (10.6.1) and vb (3.0.6) , and on launch, I see the initial VB window which shows the guests list but it hangs there and stops responding.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting ? This a known issue?
I am having the same problem and can't get VB to run at all.

Any help would be appreciated.

This same issue is being discussed WITHOUT success under the topic "Help! VB FAILS on OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard".
Under that topic there has been no activity for some time until my post.

I also tried all the things mentioned above by the others.
pkropf
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Ubuntu

Post by pkropf »

I'm also having trouble w/ VirtualBox on Snow Leopard hanging. I've tried VB 3.0.6 and today's 3.0.8. I've tried all the suggestions posted on this thread. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm running OS X 10.6.1 on a MacBook Pro w/ 2.16 GHZ Intel Core Duo processor and 2 GB memory.

Thanks.

- Peter
appletonrc
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: xp

Post by appletonrc »

Just adding to the list. I just installed 3.0.8 on my intel imac (10.6.1) and it hangs. Spinning beach ball of death :(
larso
Guest OSses: WinXP

Post by larso »

I solved my previously reported problem by removing all fonts from /Users/[username]/Library/Fonts. Now Virtual Box runs just fine.
TwisterMc

Post by TwisterMc »

larso wrote:I solved my previously reported problem by removing all fonts from /Users/[username]/Library/Fonts. Now Virtual Box runs just fine.
Genius. The issue isn't VirtualBox, it's fonts!!

See my post here about fixing my browser issues by cleaning up duplicate fonts:
http://www.twistermc.com/blog/2009/10/04/fix-fonts/

The fix fixed VirtualBox too!! :)