[Solved] How do I make Ubuntu full screen?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
tech0925
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

[Solved] How do I make Ubuntu full screen?

Post by tech0925 »

Forgive me if I overlooked a forum on this subject. I downloaded Virtual Box 3.0.6 to my OS X 10.5.8 and installed Ubuntu 9.04 32 bit via the Virtual Box. When I run Ubuntu It has a small screen. How can I make Ubuntu full screen like my Mac OS?
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: How do I make Ubuntu full screen?

Post by Perryg »

Install the guest additions.
tech0925

Post by tech0925 »

Perryg wrote:Install the guest additions.
I'm not sure I understand. Can you walk me through how to do that? Sorry, Im a newbie with running another OS on my mac. Thanks
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

tech0925

Post by tech0925 »

First I want to say thank you for all of your help! This forum isnt very clear for dummies new to this. LOL I did the first step by typing sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-generic into the ubuntu terminal. Is that correct? The second step completely threw me off. I do not understand where and what the GA ISO is and what VM stands for and even where the device menu is located.
"Mount the Guest Additions
Now that we have what is needed for the Guest Additions, it's time to actually start installing what we want. If you haven't done so already, mount the GA ISO to the VM. This is done using the Device Menu, then click on Install Guest Additions. Make sure that no other CD is already loaded for the VM, like the install disk. Unmount that one first. The CD doesn't always get mounted automatically, so you have to do that manually. Usually an icon appears on the Desktop with the name of the inserted CD. You can mount the disc from there, but if you don't have a GUI, you have to mount it using the command line. The CLI can also be used if you have a GUI. Use a terminal emulator for that.
In the CLI, check if there is a valid mount point for the CD. This is usually in /media/cdrom. Now to mount the CD, issue the following command"
Again, thank you for you help. 8)
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Follow this:
Start the guest
  • Open a terminal window
  • sudo -i <enter your password> press enter
  • apt-get install build-essential <enter>
  • apt-get install Linux-headers-generic <enter>
Leave the terminal open you are going to need it again.

When this is done the devices tab is at the top left of the guest window (called a VM which stands for virtual machine) then click install guest additions.
This will put a CD on the desktop. Double click to open and then select the guest additions for your machine (see note below) and right click-drag and drop on the terminal window.
Click once in the terminal to get focus and then hit enter. Wait for everything to finish and then reboot the machine. Watch for any errors and if you have any report back here with the exact error message.

Note: Select VBoxLinuxAdditions-amd64.run for 64 bit or VBoxLinuxAdditions-x86.run for 32 bit

After you have the Guest additions installed you use the mouse to adjust the screen to the size you want or you can use the (Host+f) toggle for full screen or the (Host+L) toggle for seamless. The Host key is the right Ctrl key which a MAC does not have so to use this feature you will need to go into the main VirtualBox Program and at the top left click file, then preferences and then input. Click once where it says Right Control and then press the left ctrl key on your MAC keyboard. Close and then start the guest again for this to take effect.
tech0925

Post by tech0925 »

Perryg wrote:Follow this:
Start the guest
  • Open a terminal window

When this is done the devices tab is at the top left of the guest window (called a VM which stands for virtual machine) then click install guest additions.
This will put a CD on the desktop. Double click to open and then select the guest additions for your machine (see note below) and right click-drag and drop on the terminal window.
Click once in the terminal to get focus and then hit enter. Wait for everything to finish and then reboot the machine. Watch for any errors and if you have any report back here with the exact error message.

Note: Select VBoxLinuxAdditions-amd64.run for 64 bit or VBoxLinuxAdditions-x86.run for 32 bit

After you have the Guest additions installed you use the mouse to adjust the screen to the size you want or you can use the (Host+f) toggle for full screen or the (Host+L) toggle for seamless. The Host key is the right Ctrl key which a MAC does not have so to use this feature you will need to go into the main VirtualBox Program and at the top left click file, then preferences and then input. Click once where it says Right Control and then press the left ctrl key on your MAC keyboard. Close and then start the guest again for this to take effect.
I am not sure why but that doesnt bring up the VM either. I am completely stomped! :shock:
tech0925

Post by tech0925 »

tech0925 wrote:
Perryg wrote:Follow this:
Start the guest
  • Open a terminal window

I am not sure why but that doesnt bring up the VM either. I am completely stomped! :shock:
Yes, I found the VM! I had to toggle to full screen mode (note: still not actually full screen) and the VM was located at the bottom of the screen. I will update you in a minute when I finish following your directions.
tech0925

Post by tech0925 »

Ok, the error message I get is
"run-detectors: unable to find an interpreter for /media/cdrom0/VBoxWindowsAdditions-x86.exe"
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

You run that in the guest not the host.
tech0925

Post by tech0925 »

[quote="Perryg"]You run that in the guest not the host.[/quote
I dragged that icon to the terminal window in Ubuntu (guest OS) and got that message. Is that correct or am I suppose to run that on my Host OS X OS?
tech0925

Post by tech0925 »

Perryg wrote:You run that in the guest not the host.
Cheers!!!!! You are the man! If I would have read your reply correctly and use the run file instead of the exe file it would have worked the first go around. LOL Thanks a million!!!
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Glad I could help. Enjoy.
I will mark this solved.
andyrwilkins1
Guest OSses: ubuntu

Re: [Solved] How do I make Ubuntu full screen?

Post by andyrwilkins1 »

Worked for me - thanks for the great info!
jinmaning
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: none

Re: [Solved] How do I make Ubuntu full screen?

Post by jinmaning »

I have solved this! visit my blog to view the solution :D

hey! this is not a spam. i'm trying to help here guys! ^^,
http://jinnyfeb.blogspot.com/2010/06/ho ... -full.html