IE Application Compatibility VPC Image + Activation Issues

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
millermmail
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Ubuntu

Re: IE Application Compatibility VPC Image + Activation Issues

Post by millermmail »

Same issue for me. I've even tried copying the wpa.dbl from the "old" image, didn't help.

As to the licence agreement, I've never seen a reason to convert the image, VirtualBox understands the VPC disk just fine. In fact, I used to run VirtualBox and MS VPC 2007 off the same VHD without any trouble (but not at the same time - that causes a BSOD of the host). I liked VPC but it couldn't run Linux well so I switched to (mostly) VirtualBox.

I even considered investing in a complete copy of XP (home or pro at this point) but there don't seem to be any stores I've ever heard of that still sell it.

Anyone find a solution yet?
yareckon
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by yareckon »

I think that the posting of those images was an attempt to improve the fortunes of both IE and VirtualPC simultaneously. It was a bit surprising then that the first images worked on other virtual hardware. I don't know what changed, but perhaps if we keep bugging Microsoft on the IE blog, whatever allowed the conversion to work before will be redone. It's not so hard, they could just issue the original images with a later die date.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

Maybe MS put some activation server in VPC that makes sure the image stays activated until a given date.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
thefsb
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows

Post by thefsb »

@Sasquatch:

Thanks for the advice. I guess if I buy a copy of XP I can as well use it in vbox as I can in vmfusion or parallels, yes?

If I buy XP SP3, such as the one below, does the initial install load IE6? Your post implies this but I just wanted to check.

Newegg lists Microsoft Windows XP Home SP3 for System Builders - OEM for $90. Would that do?
Sasquatch
Volunteer

Post by Sasquatch »

XP installs IE6. The other versions need to pass WGA and can be installed through Windows Update. If you have Automatic Update enabled, you will get IE8 by default, so disable it or at least configure that you tell which updates to install and which not to.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.

PeteLeMSFT
Guest OSses: none

Post by PeteLeMSFT »

Hey Guys,

Since we started shipping the VPC images in late 2006, we have never officially supported other VM hosting applications other than Microsoft VPC, and Microsoft Legal required us to add that part into the EULA.

The reason you're seeing a request for new activation is that the machine sees the "hardware" between Microsoft VPC and VirtualBox and other VPC Hosting apps as different hardware, and thinks you've installed it on another box, thus is requires you to reactivate the Windows. Before we ship the VPC's, we have to mark the activation key as "lost/stolen", so people cannot grab it from the registry and use it to pirate Windows.

If there is enough demand, we may be able to get additional images built, I'd ask that you email me at plepage@microsoft.com along with the VPC software you're running so we can have a better idea of the numbers and needs.

thanks,
PEte
Internet Explorer Developer Product Manager
Sasquatch
Volunteer

Post by Sasquatch »

PeteLeMSFT wrote:Hey Guys,

Since we started shipping the VPC images in late 2006, we have never officially supported other VM hosting applications other than Microsoft VPC, and Microsoft Legal required us to add that part into the EULA.

The reason you're seeing a request for new activation is that the machine sees the "hardware" between Microsoft VPC and VirtualBox and other VPC Hosting apps as different hardware, and thinks you've installed it on another box, thus is requires you to reactivate the Windows. Before we ship the VPC's, we have to mark the activation key as "lost/stolen", so people cannot grab it from the registry and use it to pirate Windows.

If there is enough demand, we may be able to get additional images built, I'd ask that you email me at plepage@microsoft.com along with the VPC software you're running so we can have a better idea of the numbers and needs.

thanks,
PEte
From what I understand for the reason MS created these IE images, is to help web developers test and adjust their website(s) so it works in all browsers properly, including IE6, IE7 and IE8. If MS demands that the web devs use Windows and VPC, they aren't helping them with that. People should be free to choose whatever software and OS they want to use. This is one of the reasons the European Commission placed the demands on MS in the first place. We users weren't able to choose what we want. We got WMP and IE forced upon us without a way to remove either of them without the use of third party tools. Now, with the release of Windows 7, things finally start to get a bit better, but the modified version will only be released here in Europe. People who don't live here are still forced to install IE and WMP and are stuck with it.

In order for Microsoft to help the web devs, images for other virtualization products should be released to compensate. Windows isn't the only OS on the world.

Uzume
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
Guest OSses: MS Windows 2003, PureDarwin

Post by Uzume »

Sasquatch wrote:In order for Microsoft to help the web devs, images for other virtualization products should be released to compensate. Windows isn't the only OS on the world.
MS frequently gives lip service to things saying one thing and doing another. It will be interesting to see how they attempt to lock their OSes to a single machine and key and yet allow people to load them in open source (and thus constantly changing) virtual machines (that support more platforms than their own virtualization software does).
PeteLeMSFT
Guest OSses: none

Post by PeteLeMSFT »

Just a quick update to the issue :)

Understandably, I've never tested the VHD's in VirtualBox, so I wasn't aware they could be converted or would work. Even though it's not supported I'm investigating what has changed. I'll do my best to keep things updated on here.

thanks,
PEte
yareckon
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by yareckon »

Thanks PeteLeMSFT, Godspeed.... however I will be surprised if you don't run into some internal resistance on the issue. I have the previous (die on August31) images right here and the EULA specifically allows transfer to "any virtualization software capable of running vhds" (this is quasi verbatim). Did MS know that virtualbox could run VHDs when they worded it that way? Now if the EULA has changed to "only on MS VirtualPC", then the original intention becomes a bit more explicit. I hope you are right and the legal guys are wrong, but I have a feeling the IE team's community outreach are being inconvenient to the VirtualPC folks attempt to build a walled garden here.

Also, if nothing technically changed, why did the original images not require activation when converted to different virtual hardware, but the current one's do? Both platforms were VPC2007 and Virtualbox3.0, so it's unlikely the virtual hardware changed, but rather that the data in the images (guest OS or VHD image format) is now different. Either a new action was taken to lock the image to VPC or a previous action to make it more compatible was just forgotten/skipped this time. Certainly hope it was the latter.

I know you're not a virtualpc or windows product expert, but I assume the IE team had something to do with the image creation. Could you explain why the older image creation process (plus an extended die date) wouldn't work now?
popsmaloy
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
Guest OSses: Windows

Post by popsmaloy »

PeteLeMSFT wrote:Just a quick update to the issue :)

Understandably, I've never tested the VHD's in VirtualBox, so I wasn't aware they could be converted or would work. Even though it's not supported I'm investigating what has changed. I'll do my best to keep things updated on here.

thanks,
PEte
Hey Pete, I appreciate your positive approach but c'mon. This is Microsoft's M.O. They have never cared about serving computer-users and their only concern is serving computers. They have been so out of touch with the end-user for so long it's become an utter joke. It's almost as if MS spends most of its time looking for ways to die.

The web is the way of the future and Microsoft treats web developers like garbage! With this approach they have no place to go but down, and fast. Web developers hate supporting your software and when they make any attempt to do so, they are shot down by Microsoft's deathwish squad.

I thought I loathed MS before but holy cow you guys are really topping yourselves.

As for any other developers passing by this, PLEASE support any and all anti-IE initiatives on the web and on your own websites. Most users want a choice and are happy to make the right ones, we just have to show them there are better choices.
vbox4me2
Volunteer

Post by vbox4me2 »

Can we all calm down now :!: the fact a MS person has joined and is attempting to sort things out is a plus for us here, we're a VBox forum and not a ms bashing community, anymore such attempts will result in a 7 day ban.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

*sigh* I don't get it. Someone comes by and offers help and all he sees is a bunch of complaints. That would really make me want to help.

@Pete, I would appreciate any assistance in the matter that you can give. You can PM me if you have questions. I use both VPC and VirtualBox and have the download installed in VPC with a saved copy just waiting for VBox.
millermmail
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Ubuntu

Post by millermmail »

PeteLeMSFT wrote:Hey Guys,

thanks,
PEte
Done.

Hopefully if enough people ask (nicely - don't bite the hand that feeds you) they'll figure out what was changed and un-do it for the next release, if not sooner...I was amazed that MS released these in the first place but it seems like a smart move, especially if they can maintain cross-compatibility -- even if it's not officially supported with non-MS virtualization.
alanburke
Primary OS: Ubuntu 8.04
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: MS WinXP

Post by alanburke »

PeteLeMSFT wrote: If there is enough demand, we may be able to get additional images built, I'd ask that you email me at plepage@microsoft.com along with the VPC software you're running so we can have a better idea of the numbers and needs.

thanks,
PEte
Hi Pete
Never mind the begrudgers - some of use understand that you are doing your best, and reaching out to people who need to test websites on your software [even if we mightn't use it :-) ]

Thanks for coming on here.
As the person who reported this issue, and initially believed I was screwing up something myself, Its hard to believe that someone from MS is on here explaining the issue.

Alan