Virtual Box 3.0.4 and Snow Leopard?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
adamauden
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Vista

Re: Virtual Box 3.0.4 and Snow Leopard?

Post by adamauden »

Sasquatch, I must say, the Change Log somewhat misleading for 3.0.4:

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Changelog

"Mac OS X hosts: improved support for Snow Leopard"

It might have been better to omit this if the support wasn't considered ready? Why mention it at all when there are obviously still problems and it's not an "official release"? Seems a bit odd.

As for "expecting it to magically work", as you've mentioned in other replies to SL related threads, I don't feel that's the case. Seems to me to be more like users pointing out it's not working for them. I, for one, was happy to know I'd not broken my install. [edited to add this back as it seems I'd deleted the rest of the sentence by accident].

Looks like this ticket (http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/4881) is covering the SetGID problem, I'll go ahead and open one up for the Seamless Mode issue.

cheers,

Adam.
Last edited by adamauden on 31. Aug 2009, 23:33, edited 1 time in total.
adamauden

Post by adamauden »

and here's the ticket on the seamless mode problem:

http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/4884
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

I missed that line in the changelog. I don't have a Mac, so I usually skip those parts. I don't even know when the official release was for SL :oops:. We mods are simple users too, we just know a bit more than the average user here :P. We have no official connections with Sun or know anything more than any of you do.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
adamauden

Post by adamauden »

SL was winging its way via FedEx to our doors on Friday, hence the sudden jump in posts. :) I know you're not to be held responsible for the changelog et al but I just felt your comments were discouraging what is useful information, so far as what is and isn't working with this new release.

I must say, for the most part, it seems pretty smooth. I can work without seamless mode for now and having to type in an admin pw every so often is a small price to pay for being able to run windows in the background. Hopefully we can redirect peopel to these open tickets and and give the devs something to work with.

cheers!

Adam.
darrinpruit
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Win7

Post by darrinpruit »

Same seamless issues here. Cannot view my Mac Desktop when I am using Win 7 in Seamless.
tboisver
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by tboisver »

Running Snow Leopard with 64 bits kernel (start your Mac by holding "6" and "4", because by default it starts with 32 bit kernel), Virtual Box 3.0.4 r50677 (WinXP SP3 guest) crash my system when I start the virtual machine. VirtualBox is the first application I have seen on a Mac that crash and reboot the computer. All my other applications are running fine on Snow Leopard with 64 bit kernel, Virtual Box is the only one that crash immediately (and not just the app, the whole system). When I boot SL with 32 bit kernel, Virtual Box works fine and I don't have any crash.

I hope this issue will be fixed in the next release, because it's annoying to have to reboot (32 bit kernel) when I want to work in Windows.

Regards,

Tommy

*I don't know what is VBox version so I selected "OSE self-compiled", but it could be something else. I just downloaded and installed VBox (v2.x) and I have applied the updates when available.
Sasquatch
Volunteer

Post by Sasquatch »

tboisver wrote:Running Snow Leopard with 64 bits kernel (start your Mac by holding "6" and "4", because by default it starts with 32 bit kernel), Virtual Box 3.0.4 r50677 (WinXP SP3 guest) crash my system when I start the virtual machine. VirtualBox is the first application I have seen on a Mac that crash and reboot the computer. All my other applications are running fine on Snow Leopard with 64 bit kernel, Virtual Box is the only one that crash immediately (and not just the app, the whole system). When I boot SL with 32 bit kernel, Virtual Box works fine and I don't have any crash.

I hope this issue will be fixed in the next release, because it's annoying to have to reboot (32 bit kernel) when I want to work in Windows.

Regards,

Tommy

*I don't know what is VBox version so I selected "OSE self-compiled", but it could be something else. I just downloaded and installed VBox (v2.x) and I have applied the updates when available.
VB for Mac is 32 bit only, so running it on a 64 bit kernel, while it uses kernel calls, can fail miserably. But you already noticed that. Check and ask in the Beta Forum if there is a 64 bit version, or when it will be ready. Maybe it will be done as 3.0.6.

*The version you need to select in your profile is PUEL. You downloaded it from the website, and that only holds the PUEL pre-compiled.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.

rpmurray
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 7, Mac OS X (various flavors)

Post by rpmurray »

Looks like the password dialog issue is slated to be fixed in 3.0.6, but nothing about seamless, http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21920
cekuhnen

Post by cekuhnen »

There is a serious issue. VB does not even start anymore the windows xp partition.
It always quits the windows boot and put the virtual machine into the aborted state.

9/2/09 6:17:04 PM VirtualBoxVM[3670] The application with bundle ID org.virtualbox.app.VirtualBoxVM is running setugid(), which is not allowed.
Sasquatch
Volunteer

Post by Sasquatch »

If anyone has something to say about the beta, do that in the beta forum, not here. These threads are NOT monitored for beta issues.

iVirtualize
Guest OSses: Windows XP Professional SP3, Linux Ubuntu 9.04, OpenSolaris, Windows 7 build 7100, gOS

Post by iVirtualize »

Sasquatch wrote:There isn't an official release for SL yet, so please be patient. One will come in due time. Probably when the next VB version is released. There are some major changes as you might have figured in Snow Leopard which is causing all these issues. Until a new version is build specifically for these changes, you will keep having problems.
Dang it.
Sasquatch
Volunteer

Post by Sasquatch »

iVirtualize wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:There isn't an official release for SL yet, so please be patient. One will come in due time. Probably when the next VB version is released. There are some major changes as you might have figured in Snow Leopard which is causing all these issues. Until a new version is build specifically for these changes, you will keep having problems.
Dang it.
The beta of 3.0.6 has official SL support, so try that. The final of 3.0.6 will be released hopefully shortly, after the devs have enough feedback to make sure it's as bug free as they can get it.

Joewoof
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Post by Joewoof »

I've encountered the same USB-mounting problem with Snow Leopard, except that it occurs for all USB devices.

Whenever I try to mount a USB device, the process fails and VBox becomes unable to mount any more USB devices. The problem goes further than that, however. For Windows 7 RC as the guest, this event also "locks up" the status of the guest for the VBox window. For example, Windows 7 RC appears "Running" even though it had already been successfully shut down.