Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon as a Guest OS hosted by XP

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
MikeL

Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon as a Guest OS hosted by XP

Post by MikeL »

I tried to update my guest Ubuntu Feisty to Gutsy running in VirtualBox on my windows XP Machine. Initially everything looked fine and post the reboot of Ubuntu in the Virtual box window I had Gutsy OS running. :D

Unfortunately when I closed virtualbox and then tried to restart and boot up Gutsy Gibbon I received error messages which essentially implied that the id within the image was now incorrect or similar. (Tried this a few days ago, did not capture messages to post here and have since deleted image :oops: )

Wondered if anyone else has Gutsy running yet as a Guest in virtualbox as a realise it is not a supported version :?:

PS I have also tried to install Gutsy from the downloaded iso running as a Guest live CD but cannot complete as the initial virtualbox screen size crops the Ubuntu Install window/panel in such a way that I am unable to select options at bottom of each panel during a typical install.

Enjoying running Ubuntu Fiesty as a guest on XP on my Laptop in the meantime to gain a better appreciation of what Linux has to offer before fully installing on PC. (Multi boot environment, XP, Vista & Ubuntu)

Early days for me with virtualbox, where I am still getting to grips with how to setup and manipulate multiple images when virtualbox is running on XP as the host.
For example I note that if I was running Ubuntu as the host and I updated Ununtu I would have to modify vboxdrv to run virtualbox post update? http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=2315

Any comments, supported appreciated. Apologies if I have posted this thread in wrong forum :oops:
abcuser
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, Windows XP

Post by abcuser »

Hi,
I have successfully installed Ubuntu Gutsy inside VirtualBox 1.5.2. I had multiple problems:
1. I couldn't install Ubuntu Gutsy on VirtualBox 1.4.0. So I first downloaded the latest VirtualBox program and installed it. So first check if you have the latest VirtualBox program.
2. Running a LiveCD in Ubuntu Gutsy inside VirtualBox there I have noticed some resolution problems. On my laptop maximum resolution is 1024x768, but Gutsy recognized only 800x600 (Feisty LiveCD worked without problems).

Running Gutsy LiveCD there in 800x600 it is difficult to install Ubuntu, because the whole windows can't be seen. I have solved the problem in such a way that I have moved top menu bar to left site and bottom task bar to right site - so top and bottom without any bars. In this case window is almost so big that can fit on the screen and installation is possible.

After Gutsy installation. I have installed VirtualBox Guest Addins - still in 800x600 resolution. In my case resolution was not improved so I started xorg program by command:

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
Note: take care if something goes wrong Ubuntu will stop responding. Maybe you should backup your data or after install make a clone image in VirtualBox.

In first window the default settings is vesa-standard-card. I Selected vbox... (don't remember exact name) then follow the questions - make all settings default except resolution page I selected 1024x768, 800x600 and 640x480 (used spacebar to select resolutions). Rebooted Linux and my resolution came to 1024x768 as I wonted in first place. By the way, this is Ubuntu problem not VirtualBox - so asking questions on Ubuntuforums.org could result in more answers. If you will still have a problem then try this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=579784 - I started this thread and posted more details when figured out the solution.

Hope this helps,
Abcuser
MikeL

Post by MikeL »

Thanks for your thoughts.

Tried your idea of extending the window right and left, making it wider, but that did not help to bring bottom of the window into focus so still unable to install Gutsy from Live CD at the fixed 800x600 screen resolution.

Did you guess the movement through the options during install or what exactly?

Very frustrating as when I installed Gutsy over Feisty (Long update procedure) I had already previously successfully installed the guest additions and had edited the file to support my wide screen at 1440x900 so if only I could have saved the updated image in a way that I could continue to fully restart in Virtualbox etc.

Will read more threads in Virtualbox and Ubuntuforums to attempt to find clues to solving my problem.
MikeL

Post by MikeL »

Update...I have now managed to step through the Gutsy install with a combination of providing information and hitting the return key, assuming the option selected at bottom of each panel presented. :D

Good suggestion abcuser

Upon successful Install of Gutsy, I then installed the Guest Additions by mounting the iso (Devices > Install Guest Additions) and then by going to a terminal window, typing following commands:-

cd /media/cdrom0
sudo sh ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run

I edited xorg.conf to add "1440x900" graphics resolution of my LCD panel

I noted that the only resolution stored in Gutsy xorg.conf was "800x600" which is different to feisty? I added "1440x900" and at next reboot I had the resolution I required.

So now I can test Gusty running in a VirtualBox window on my XP Laptop :lol:
lextm

Post by lextm »

You can always try the alternative CD to install Ubuntu if Live CD fails.
malai5

Post by malai5 »

lextm wrote:You can always try the alternative CD to install Ubuntu if Live CD fails.
Hi lextm

I have tried the alternative CD to install Kubuntu 7.10 and it installs OK, but there are several problems with the desktop being buggy and really slow.

One of the best installs is PCLinux 2007. It just does everything really smoothly and quickly. I notice very little difference running PCLinux 2007 in VB 1.5.2 over running it natively.

Cheers

Malai5
The Further You Go, The Less You Know.
www.mam3.com.au