Damn Small Linux Guest Additions Problem

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
atsab
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: fedora, open solaris, windows xp. windows server 2008, windows vista, dsl,ubuntu

Damn Small Linux Guest Additions Problem

Post by atsab »

Hi,

Iv been using virtual box for a wile now (ubuntu host 9.04, vbox 3.0.4), I usually have a few guests running for creating small networks.
However my current work will require me to create a much lager network of vbox guests.
So I started using Damn Small Linux as the guest os (thinking that it will take up less resources, allowing me to run more guests), it installed to hard disk fine.
And I downloaded the kernel headers and gcc and installed them with no problems. But I cannot get the guest additions to install, every time it fails with:

Code: Select all

Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing VirtualBox 3.0.4 Guest Additions for Linux installation..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................
VirtualBox 3.0.4 Guest Additions installation
Building a test kernel module failed.  See the log file /var/log/vboxadd-install.log
for more details.
Problems were found which would prevent the Guest Additions from installing.
Please correct these problems and try again.
So i have checked the log file and :

Installing VirtualBox 3.0.4 Guest Additions, built Tue Aug  4 19:37:03 CEST 2009

Testing the setup of the guest system

Building test kernel module vboxadd_test...

cc -DVBOX_LINUX_2_4 -I/lib/modules/2.4.31/build/include  -I/tmp/selfgz92920648/module/test/ -I/tmp/selfgz92920648/module/test/include -I/tmp/selfgz92920648/module/test/r0drv/linux -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DRT_OS_LINUX -DIN_RING0 -D_X86_ -DIN_RT_R0 -DIN_SUP_R0 -DVBGL_VBOXGUEST -DVBGL_HGCM -DVBOX_WITH_HGCM    -c -o test.o test.c
make: cc: Command not found
make: *** [test.o] Error 127

Building the test kernel module vboxadd_test failed.
Giving up due to the problems mentioned above.
It looks to me like gcc and make are not installed but i have verified that they are both present on the system:

dsl@box:~/cdrom$ which gcc;which make
/usr/bin/gcc
/usr/bin/make
if anyone has any ideas as to why this installation of the guest additions is failing then please let me know

Thanks
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Re: Damn Small Linux Guest Additions Problem

Post by Sasquatch »

For the cc compiler, do you have that too? When I check my Ubuntu Host system for the cc compiler (which cc), I get /usr/bin/cc returned. Checking the actual file reveals it's a symlink to /etc/alternatives/cc, which in itself is a symlink to /usr/bin/gcc. If you don't have the cc program/symlink, create the link yourself by issuing sudo ln -s /usr/bin/gcc /usr/bin/cc
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
atsab
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: fedora, open solaris, windows xp. windows server 2008, windows vista, dsl,ubuntu

Re: Damn Small Linux Guest Additions Problem

Post by atsab »

Thanks!
Creating the symlink worked and i have now installed the guest additions and shared folders is working :D

However dsl uses its own X windows driver and i don't think I can get it to work with vbox,
if any one has any experience with getting this to work please let me know.

after the guest additions is installed i get the message:

Could not find X.org or XFree86 on the guest system.  The X Window drivers
will not be installed.
I did some digging around and if you run

sh ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run –keep –noexec
you will get an install directory generated,
in this directory the file install.sh
looks in the following places for xorg modules

for dir in /usr/lib/xorg/modules /usr/X11R6/lib/modules; do
dsl's x directory is located in /usr/lib/X11/ however there is no modules folder so im at a loss as to where to point the install script

I supose the next step would be to install XOrg 7.0 on dsl, but im not sure how i would go about this (time for some more googling i think :? )