32 bit/64 bit

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
theozzlives
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Android, Windows 10

32 bit/64 bit

Post by theozzlives »

I have 64 bit Ubuntu, and 64 bit VirtualBox yet I can't install a 64 bit Guest OS on it. It says I have a i686 CPU, is there a check box I'm missing or is this by design?
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: 32 bit/64 bit

Post by Perryg »

Make sure that hardware-V is turned on in your bios.
sej7278
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Solaris, Linux, Windows, OS/2, MacOSX, FreeBSD

Post by sej7278 »

Perryg wrote:Make sure that hardware-V is turned on in your bios.
it is a bit of a rubbish requirement that - 64 on 64 should just work and not require vtx, i don't think vmware/xen/kvm do.

very annoying that vm's created on my core2quad q6600 won't work on my pentium dual core e5200.
Perryg
Site Moderator
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

I feel your pain. I too have a 64 bit processor, but my bios does not support Hardware-v. But that is what I have and it is not available in VirtualBox. I learn to live with it and move on until I can afford to toss a grand plus to replace my PC and Laptop I bought less than a year ago. Still VB works really well with what I have so I don't complain too much. :wink:
paxmark1
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: windows

Post by paxmark1 »

Chiming in on a relevant post.
My dual core is an Intel E2200 which does not support the virtual support bindings, but it is multi-threaded and 64 bit. I was sad when I found out the KVM would not work, but was very happy to find virtualbox.

I will sleuth a bit more if the ASUS P5KPL-VM will support the virtual support bindings. Be that is it may

I can run 32 bit Windows and 32 bit CrunchBang Linux using VirtualBox under Ubuntu9.04.

However for 64 bit OS the setup options state that the -vt bindings are in effect and they are greyed in to appear that I have no input options on that. Windows 7 and 64 bit CrunchBang linux (ubuntu variant) fails for installation saying that a 64 bit system can not be installed on a 32 bit system.

Will this be remedied in a later iteration or via compiling the SVN?

Would this be remedied by installing a newer dual or quad core Intel chip with the bindings?

Has anyone had success with the ASUS P5KPL-VM?

peace, mark
sej7278
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Solaris, Linux, Windows, OS/2, MacOSX, FreeBSD

Post by sej7278 »

the e2200 doesn't support vt-x so you can only run 32-bit guests, even though you're running a 64-bit host, same as my e5200.

i don't think it will be fixed any time soon - certainly isn't in last night's svn which is effectively virtualbox 3.0.5 (just seems to be blinged icons).

a newer cpu such as a certain core2duo's or all core2quad/core-i7's would fix it, assuming your motherboard supports those chips and vt-x in the bios.

i can understand needing hardware-vt to run 64-bit guests on 32-bit hosts (surprised that even works!) but not 64-on-64, especially as you can run 32-bit guests on a 64-bit host without vt-x.
theozzlives

Post by theozzlives »

Well I have a Dell Inspiron 1525, and I've never seen "hardware-v" in the BIOS. I just wanted to test Ubuntu Karmic Koala Alpha 3 64 bit. The 32 bit did so well I went ahead and installed it. Still I think it's misleading.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

theozzlives wrote:Well I have a Dell Inspiron 1525, and I've never seen "hardware-v" in the BIOS. I just wanted to test Ubuntu Karmic Koala Alpha 3 64 bit. The 32 bit did so well I went ahead and installed it. Still I think it's misleading.
Misleading in what way? Looking at VB or at Dell? I hope you're talking about Dell, because they are just the type of company to lie about their hardware features. "Yes you have the latest CPU with this and that function/feature, but you actually can't use half of it because we want to keep the price down and you won't be using it anyway", that kind of attitude. It's not only Dell though, other companies do the same thing with their laptop branch. You might get lucky if you buy a high end, expensive and special branch, but in general, you don't get everything you see advertised.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
Ravenman
Guest OSses: GNU/Linux, *BSD, OpenSolaris, WindowsXP

Post by Ravenman »

Hi to everyone:

I have virtualbox_bin 3.0.2-2 with multiple operating systems and from a recent update (maybe 12 or July 15) I have stopped running 64-bit versions that I installed. :shock:

When I'm launching a 64-bit machine, appears it the following:

VT-x/AMD-V acceleration has been enabled, but is not functional. Its 64-bit guest fails to detect a 64-bit CPU and can not start (boot).

Please make sure that you choose. VT-x/AMD-V properly enabled in the BIOS of your host computer. :?

Then a couple of buttons: Close Virtual Machine and Continue. When you press the Continue button, the operating system normally loads the GRUB and then:

This kernel requires an x86-64 CPU, but only detected an i686 CPU.
Unable to boot - please use a kernel Appropriate for your CPU.
:|

Anyone know how to fix it :?:
Sasquatch
Volunteer

Post by Sasquatch »

There is also an issue with recent releases where the hardware virtualization wasn't detected properly. This has been fixed in the SVN release and should be included in 3.0.4. When it will be released is unknown, but probably sometime this month.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.

theozzlives

Post by theozzlives »

Misleading in what way? Looking at VB or at Dell? I hope you're talking about Dell
I was referring to VB saying it's 64 bit when they really mean it will run on a 64 bit OS (unless you have a special hardware config).
Sasquatch
Volunteer

Post by Sasquatch »

theozzlives wrote:
Misleading in what way? Looking at VB or at Dell? I hope you're talking about Dell
I was referring to VB saying it's 64 bit when they really mean it will run on a 64 bit OS (unless you have a special hardware config).
You're wrong here. VB has a 64 bit version, and the manual clearly states the hardware needs to be able to run 64 bit Guests. It's even in the changelogs when they first introduced it. It's not misleading, it's the misreading on your end.