Window position problem: top of window off screen

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
whocarez
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows xp 32 bit

Window position problem: top of window off screen

Post by whocarez »

Hi,

I have som real difficulties with VirtualBox and the window it creates for the guests. This is on Ubuntu 9.04 (jaunty) with VirtualBox 3.0.2, running icewm 1.2.37 as my window manager. I am not using KDE or Gnome. The problem has persisted for some time, and did also occur with VirtualBox 2.x. What happens is that once I start VirtualBox, the main window appears in the middle of the screen, so far so good. Once I select a host (in this case xp 32 bit), the window appears in the upper left corner, but the top of window and left side edge is missing. This makes it impossible to move the window, although by disabling mouse integration and playing around with ALT+right mouse to drag the window in place usually works. This is very annoying though. I have had this problem for some time now, hopefully it is possible to solve it somehow.

I played a little around with 'xwininfo', and it looks like the upper left positions do not take into account the size of the titlebar and left border. On vm-window that appears off screen it is like this:

Absolute upper-left X: 0
Absolute upper-left Y: 0

A window with correct placement should look something like this:

Absolute upper-left X: 4
Absolute upper-left Y: 23

If it matters, my screen resolution is 1920x1200. I have no problems with window placement in icewm besides with VirtualBox. Right now I suspect this might be a bug?

I have to add that this also happens frequently when the resolution is changed by dragging the window corner, then the window jumps back to its initial position.
Attachments
vbox-window-offscreen.jpg
vbox-window-offscreen.jpg (52.65 KiB) Viewed 5578 times
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Re: Window position problem: top of window off screen

Post by Sasquatch »

Check the config file of the VM and look at the top for this line, and modify it accordingly. It should force the window on the right position upon boot, but I don't know about resizing it.

Code: Select all

<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/LastWindowPostion" value="4,44,640,506,max"/>
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
whocarez
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows xp 32 bit

Post by whocarez »

If I power off the virtual machine in a state where the title bar is visible, the coordinates for the window position are saved correctly. However, once I fire it up again, the problem still occurs. This also happens if I choose "Adjust window size" from the Machine menu. Essentially, any change of resolution on the guest makes the window loose its windows position. Looks like the problem is more complicated than this :(
KenJackson
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: WindowsXP, OpenSolaris

Post by KenJackson »

I have exactly the same problem, and I'm also very annoyed by it.

I'm currently using VirtualBox 3.0.8 and IceWM 1.2.37 on my Fedora Core 11 host.