VirtualBox v3.0.X system lock up issue

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Solaris hosts.
half12
Primary OS: OpenSolaris other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: RH 4 & 5, CentOS 4, Ubuntu 9.10, MSDOS, Win 95, 98se, 2K, XP, OpenSolaris, Solaris

VirtualBox v3.0.X system lock up issue

Post by half12 »

Hi,

After upgrading to v3.0.2 all my existing VBox clients worked correctly (these include CentOS, RHat, SXDE b115, OpenSolaris 2009.06, Win XP). I also increased the number of CPUs available for SXDE b115 from 1 to 2 without any problems.

I then decided to upgrade Solaris Express Developer Edition b117 which would over write the existing b115. However, while attempting to install b117 (with 2 CPUs for the VBox) my desktop locked up and required a power cycle to recover. I tried again and the system locked up at the same point in the b117 installation. I then attempted to install b117 in the same VBox with 1 CPU, the same thing happen again but much quicker during the installation process.

So, I reverted back to SXDE b115 which been previously working under v3.0.2 having been created using v2.2.0. While the installation completed, booting the SXDE b115 VBox resulted in hanging my desktop again!!! What does v3.0.2 do differently when creating a new VBox that v2.2.0 does not? Why does a SXDE b115 Vbox previously created with v2.2.0 work reliably under v3.0.2?

I downgraded back to v2.2.4 and successfully installed and booted SXDE b115. I think I will be waiting for v3.0.4.

This has been logged see

http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/4534
Last edited by half12 on 16. Jul 2009, 11:50, edited 1 time in total.
randshuntzinger

Re: VirtualBox v3.0.X system lock up issue

Post by randshuntzinger »

I have a similar problem. I was reluctant to report it as a bug because multiple things changed at once and it wasn't clear whether this was an OpenSolaris or a VirtualBox issue; however, I am currently leaning towards VirtualBox.

My situation is as follows: I have a SXCE build 117 host running VirtualBox 3.0.2 with 4 guests which are normally all running. The guests are SXCE 117, OpenSolaris 2009.06, OpenSolaris dev edition b117 and Solaris 10 5/09. This arrangement locks up the host on pretty much a daily basis. I rolled the host back to SXCE build 116 and it still locks up, so I've gone back to 117. When I power cycled the machine (under build 116) and started no VirtualBox clients the host ran properly over the weekend. This is why I now suspect that VirtualBox is involved in the problem.

-- Rand Huntzinger
laxity
Primary OS: Solaris
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: XP, OpenSolaris, RedHat, Vista, Win7

Post by laxity »

I have also seen this twice now. Running Solaris 10 U7 and Virtualbox 3.x. and running WinXP as the guest OS. Just a complete system lockup. Was fine with VB 2.x.
connor
Primary OS: OpenSolaris other
Guest OSses: Xp, Ubuntu

Post by connor »

Same here, as mentioned in another thread here already. Opensolaris 2009.06 with build 117, VB 3.0.0 or VB 3.0.2, daily hangups even with only one Ubuntu 32bit vm. No clue what the problem is.
I never tried Virtualbox 2.x.
With VB installed (but not running), everything is fine.

Anyone filed a defect? I don't know how to investigate this...
svcadm
Primary OS: OpenSolaris 11
Guest OSses: Gentoo GNU/Linux, Windows XP

Post by svcadm »

Disabling guest USB support seems to have stopped the lock ups for me. I'm using VB 3.0.2 and OpenSolaris snv_118.
sdmcleod
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by sdmcleod »

I have the same issue with VB 3.0.2 on Solaris 10 (10/08 s10x_u6wos_07b3).
Disabling USB seems to have fixed the problem here, too.
eblaine
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7

Post by eblaine »

I'm having the same issue as well across two Ultra-24s running Solaris 10x86 update 6 and update 7 running both Windows XP 32-bit and Windows 7 64-bit as the guest OS. No single application triggers the crash, sometimes Windows crashes as it's loading and the lock ups take down Solaris entirely. Disabling USB support in the VDI settings did not prevent the lock ups unfortunately. Using the latest 3.0.2 build.
tjobbins

Post by tjobbins »

eblaine wrote:I'm having the same issue as well across two Ultra-24s running Solaris 10x86 update 6 and update 7 running both Windows XP 32-bit and Windows 7 64-bit as the guest OS. No single application triggers the crash, sometimes Windows crashes as it's loading and the lock ups take down Solaris entirely. Disabling USB support in the VDI settings did not prevent the lock ups unfortunately. Using the latest 3.0.2 build.
Are you running any zones on this box? If so please see http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19947
randshuntzinger

Post by randshuntzinger »

I'm running a mix of Solaris and OpenSolaris VB clients on top of a OpenSolaris SXCE b117 host and alas, disabling USB support did not help in my case either. I continue to have frequent crashes of my host machine when I have VB clients running. The clients are OpenSolaris b118, SXCE b117, OpenSolaris 2009.06 (b111a) and Solaris 10u7.
eblaine

Post by eblaine »

tjobbins wrote:
eblaine wrote:I'm having the same issue as well across two Ultra-24s running Solaris 10x86 update 6 and update 7 running both Windows XP 32-bit and Windows 7 64-bit as the guest OS. No single application triggers the crash, sometimes Windows crashes as it's loading and the lock ups take down Solaris entirely. Disabling USB support in the VDI settings did not prevent the lock ups unfortunately. Using the latest 3.0.2 build.
Are you running any zones on this box? If so please see http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19947
No, I'm not running any zones on either boxes but I appreciate you asking. Stability has been good in the last day but I don't think I'm out of the woods yet. When I disabled USB, the first time I brought up Windows 7 64-bit it locked up the machine within two seconds of booting. Hopefully we get an update soon.
rpro
Primary OS: OpenSolaris 10
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by rpro »

I am having the exact same problem as the OP.

Hard system lockup (b118 developer respository), with VBOX 3.0.2, running Windows XP Pro SP3 as guest. Core 2 Quad 9300.

Seems to happen within 48 hours of the guest OS being started. This occurs even with USB disabled.

I do not have zones enabled. One instance of VBOX machine running.

This is very distressing.
eblaine

Post by eblaine »

Just to follow up from earlier, disabling USB support has increased stability but I am still experiencing complete system crashes. Both of my Ultra-24s have locked up today, one was loading Google Earth in Windows XP and the other was simply trying to log in to Windows XP as administrator.
vbox4me2
Volunteer

Post by vbox4me2 »

It might take awhile to get results but you could do step by step disable of VM features, smp, vt-x, apic, 3d, etc... until it stops crashing.
svcadm
Primary OS: OpenSolaris 11
Guest OSses: Gentoo GNU/Linux, Windows XP

Post by svcadm »

vbox4me2 wrote:It might take awhile to get results but you could do step by step disable of VM features, smp, vt-x, apic, 3d, etc... until it stops crashing.
Is that supposed to mean that this behavior hasn't been observed by any of the VBox developers?

I'm all for helping out with the troubleshooting process, but turning off a single feature, waiting days or weeks to see if the box still locks up, and then turning off another feature and doing the same is rather pathetic advice. Perhaps it's a combination of two or more specific features. Perhaps it has nothing to do with features at all, and is a bug in the VBox kernel module and the way it interacts with the (Open)Solaris kernel.

A suggestion that is a bit more targeted would be appreciated instead of what appears to be just random strawman troubleshooting suggestion that is of no better caliber than: why not start taking pieces of hardware out of your system one by one and wait to see if VBox causes the system to hard lock again.
vbox4me2
Volunteer

Post by vbox4me2 »

We (mods) are not associated with the devs or Sun, so we have no idea who's noticing what, all we can do is attempt to help and this step by step looks tedious, but with conflicting usb/fix reports you have to start somewhere. You can always look around on bugtracker if someone has noticed it, or summit a ticket.