"There are no more files" error in Windows 7 RC guest.

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
plamen_todoroff

"There are no more files" error in Windows 7 RC guest.

Post by plamen_todoroff »

I have Windows 7 RC installed as guest on an Ubuntu 8.04.2 x32-bits host. I've setup my shared folders in the VM's settings and map them as network drives Z:, Y: and X: in Windows 7 RC. They are perfectly browsable and usable, I can cut, paste & copy files from Windows 7's C: to the shared folders and vice versa, I can cut, copy and paste files between the shared folders in Windows 7, but I cannot save files downloaded through 7's Firefox to the shared folders. An error pops up saying "There are no more files."

So I usually save the files in "Downloads" folder in C: and then cut and paste them in the desired shared folder. So, the problem is that I can't save files directly to the shared folders.

Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: "There are no more files" error in Windows 7 RC guest.

Post by Perryg »

Can you explain how you are trying to save these files from Firefox?
Did you set the download path in the general settings?
The Count
Primary OS: openSUSE
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Win7

Post by The Count »

I just want to say that I seem to have the same problem:
I'm running Windows7RC in VirtualBox 2.2.2 r46594 on OpenSuse 11.1. In there I installed Office 2007.

In Excel (as example) I can open and save existing files in network drives (pressing "Save"), but I cannot create new files in network drives ("Save as" a new file). On the other hand, I can overwrite existing files (using "Save as" to overwrite another, already existing file).

When using the C: drive, everything works as it should.

I do not use this VM for internet access, so I cannot say anything about Firefox' behaviour.

I would appreciate any help, too.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

This has to do with the permissions. I have included a link so you can research it. Most of them talk about shares with Windows as host but should help you.
Take a look at the permission of the shared folder and make sure that it has the switches turned on that allow to create.
The Count

Post by The Count »

Thanks Perryg. Since the OP is not responding I just report about my system:

I already had the respective partition in my host mounted with rw-access for all (note: the host ist linux), it is a FAT partition, that I also use from a direct bootable XP on the same notebook. Inside the VM, Windows' Explorer/FileManager is allowed to write/copy/create on that drive. But Office isn't (neither the OP's Firefox).
The very same partition earlier worked normally with VirtualBox (approx. version 2.0.4) and a WinXP SP3 guest. The update to 2.2.2 and Win7RC resulted in my above described problems.

When - in Excel in the VM - I press "Save as" a little window with the folder-tree pops up. There the problematic drive D: is shown as "disconnected network drive", but I still can access it and all files and folders in there are shown. At the same time the drive shows nothing about being disconnected in Window's Explorer. I tried connecting the drive as admin, reconnect, reboot,... nothing made any difference.

Looks like there is no easy solution, this neither seems to be a known problem/reported bug... Anyhow, thanks again for trying to help.
___
PS: I actually dealt with permissions earlier, when I managed to get my Windows guests in contact with USB devices. And to get everything up and running, the virtual box group currently has quite many rights on my linux machine...
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

I just tested again and I do not have the problems that you are experiencing. Let me ask a few questions if I may.
  • 1. From within your windows guest, have you mounted the VBox share as a drive, or are you simply accessing the share as a network access?
    1a. This could be a cause of the problem as Word and Excel and Firefox may not allow saving to network resources.
    2. Can you create a new folder and file from both directions within the Shared folder and are the permissions correct when you create them by default?
    3. Can you share a network resource via SMB and does it work properly (not the VBox share)?
The Count

Post by The Count »

Perryg, thanks for your efforts in trying to help me!

Re 1: I used the menus instead of the command line:
In VirtualBox I defined the folder in Devices -> Shared Folder, where I added a new folder (machine folder, path: /windows/D, folder name "host", permanent, full access).
In Win7RC I opened the Explorer, Tools -> Map network drive. (Drive D:, folder: \\vboxsvr\host)

Re 1a: When using "Save as" in Word I get the "Save as" window with the tree structure on the left side. In there I follow the hierarchy Computer -> "host (\\vboxsvr) (D:)" -> etc.
The icon beside the "host (\\vboxsvr) (D:)" entry shows a disconnected network symbol.
In this folder I can save files without renaming, I can also overwrite other, existing files.

Re 2: In Word's "Save as" menu I can create new folders, but I cannot save my file there.
Seen from the host, the folder exists and has - like all files in this FAT-partition - full permissions and is owned by root:users.
I can create folders through my host, which are visible in the VM.

Re 3: My paranoia does not allow me to use samba on my machine. ;-) Will say that I did not configure or autostart smb at all on the host. So, unfortunately, I cannot say whether this would work. However, I do have regular internet access in my VM (via NAT): Win7, antivirus sw, etc. get regular updates. IE8 can connect to the outside world, too (btw: A "Save image" in IE8 does not work either on the D:-drive).

Thanks again for your efforts. Not sure if I should just wait and hope that things work out on a new version of VirtualBox...

Kind regards.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

When sharing folders and mapping folders it is important to not use spaces, Caps, or any special characters. try the share again by using the following example:

Share in VBox gui
  • Path = drill to the folder that you want to share. It must be a folder and not the entire drive.
    Name = share (no caps, spaces, or any special characters)
Windows guest
  • Open a command window and type: net use z: \\vboxsvr\share -p
  • The -p is in addition to the example in the VBox users guide to make the share persistent.
Next thing to remember is what ever the permissions are in the folder that you are sharing is the permission that you are going to get in the guest. Since this is a shared folder, if you are not concerned with the security, you should chmod it to have the maximum permission that you are comfortable with.
The Count

Post by The Count »

Hi Perryg,
Share in VBox gui
Path = drill to the folder that you want to share. It must be a folder and not the entire drive.
Yes, it was a folder, did not change that now
Partition: /windows/D
folder: /windows/D/virtXP renamed to /windows/D/share
Name = share (no caps, spaces, or any special characters)
OK, did change that. The folder was called "virtXP", now it's named "share". (btw: when I used an XP guest, the folder name "virtXP" worked.)
I called the Folder Name in VirtualBox set up "share", too.
Windows guest
Open a command window and type: net use z: \\vboxsvr\share -p
Done that (after disconnecting the old one).

Alas, it does not help. It still shows the symptoms described above (Windows Explorer can create new files, but not MS Office).
I guess, I just have to wait for a new version of VirtualBox or try a reinstall, once I find the time. For now I save new files to the Win7 Desktop and move them to the shared folder asap.

Perryg, thanks again for your support and your patience, this is really appreciated!
Kind regards.
psidrum
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win7RC Vista

Post by psidrum »

Hi,

i get the same problem, I have a Linux Ubuntu 9/04 host running a Win7 RC guest with shared folder mapped at Z

When i try to save from Photoshop, i get a "There are no more files" error.

VirtualBox version 2.2.4
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

I believe that the "There are no more files" error is a permission problem. Others have said that they can not save from various programs but can save the file locally and then copy it to the share just fine. You can either use this approach or you can create a full network share using Samba and map that to Windows 7 RC.
cflury
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
Guest OSses: Windows 7 Ultimate RC1

Post by cflury »

Hi,
I have the same issue, running Virtual Box under Max OS X 10.5.7 and Windows 7 Ultimate RC1 as a guest. The issue isn't depending on the application, it always happens when using the "Save as ..." dialog.
I definitely do not believe it's a permission problem, since I can save the files on a local drive or even on a network drive and subsequently copy them successfully to the shared drive by means of Windows Explorer or the copy-command in a command-prompt window.

It would be great if you could follow-up on this.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Depending on the version of VirtualBox that you are using there were problems in file permissions when using the shared folder of VBox. The problems that others were seeing seems to have been fixed in version 3.0.2. While I can not tell exactly what your problem is I think that an upgrade would be the first step if you are not using 3.0.2 already. If the problem still exist then we will need to know the exact steps that you are using and the programs that are effected. Saving local was never a problem and of course using a network share bypasses the shared folder part of VBox.
cflury
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
Guest OSses: Windows 7 Ultimate RC1

Post by cflury »

I do use 3.0.2.
I created a shared folder on my host (Mac OS X) directly under the root of my hard drive and named it "shared".
When saving a file from Excel, Word or UltraEdit etc. I always get the "no more files"-error. On the other hand I am able to successfully copy any file to the shared directory with Windows Explorer or the copy-command.
Do you need any additional details?
Thank you for your help - I appreciate it very much.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

The closest thing I could find is this ticket. http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/3279
You might want to add yourself to this ticket and be sure to send a copy of your log file.
You will need to setup an account there as it is different than the one we have.