VirtualBox 3.0: files becom read only on shared folders

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
wonko3
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP

VirtualBox 3.0: files becom read only on shared folders

Post by wonko3 »

Hi there,

I have a problem with VirtualBox after updating from 2.2.4 to 3.3.0, im using WinXP as guest OS. Guest additions have
been updated.
Files copied on shared folders become read only after copying. If files are just modified, e.g. a text file edited by notepad, it is still rw, but if I copy it, it becomes read only.

Any ideas?

Best regrads, wonko3
roxland
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP

Re: VirtualBox 3.0: files becom read only on shared folders

Post by roxland »

Similar problem here.

When I upgraded to 3.0, every subfolder of the shared folder became read-only. The folder attributes showed a greyed out and checked read-only attribute. Downgrading to 2.2.4 hasn't fixed this issue. Very annoying.
wonko3
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by wonko3 »

I tried as well going back to 2.2.4. It seem to work, if the guest additions of 2.24 are installed as well, otherwise the windows drivers from 3.0 are still active. It seems, there is a bug in the guest additions of 3.0.

http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/4381

wonko3
SirWombat
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: WinXP Pro

Post by SirWombat »

Hi. I had the same problem. I solved it by using shared folders over the network (samba) and the same username and password for both Linux and Windows. Though I don't like the idea of the windows guest having the same password as the linux host. Needs fixing most definetively!
SirWombat
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: WinXP Pro

Post by SirWombat »

OK. The issue is gone when updating to the current version 3.0.2. No Problems there!!! Great work. Thx
TMEngineering
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
Guest OSses: MS Win XP SP3

Post by TMEngineering »

Issue still there for me in v.3.2.12 with XP32 Host and XP32 Guest. Exhibits same effect as described above; can create a file on a shared folder, but once created it can not be modified. All files in shared folder seem to change to Read Only. Effect same whether shared folder is on FAT32 or NTFS partition. Same whether root of drive or a subfolder. Same regardless of shared folder naming. Even if I remove Read Only attribute while in Guest, it sets back on. Read Only attribute is always off when viewing from Host. Consistent on multiple (physical) machines. Based on the numerous posts, this seems like an issue that has never been fully resolved.