VirtualBox 3.0: Problems with bridged network connection

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
zerocoolx
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: diverse

VirtualBox 3.0: Problems with bridged network connection

Post by zerocoolx »

Hello,
I've just updated to the new 3.0 version. Now I have big trouble with using my bridged network connection.

I'm using virtualbox on my notebook by using my wlan connection as bridged network interface. With the old 2.2.4 Version I had have nearly no problems. But with the new version I have noticed two problems.

1. After starting my ubuntu-server it don't get an ip from my router. Sometimes it works to stop and restart the networkinterface (ifdown | ifup) or to renew the IP by using the dhcpclient. Sometimes it only helps to stop and start the whole vm.

2. One time I have startet my W2k3 Server and after about 15 minutes no other pc in my network can't reach my vm. From my host it was possible to reach this machine, an my other vms were able to reach this server, too. On my host I didn't notice any network problems. I was able to reach the router and all other systems in network.

Does someone have an idea to solve this problem?
thanks in advance
René
mihlub
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: ubuntu 9.04

Re: VirtualBox 3.0: Problems with bridged network connection

Post by mihlub »

i have the same problem using vbox 3.0 on win7rc-64bit host and ubuntu 9.04 as guest. with vbox 2.2.2 i have no issue with bridge networking. upgrade to 3.0 and all of my guests that use bridge networking are no longer have network access to the router. i re-install 2.2.2 and i got the network working again.bummer. i really like the new features in 3.0 but i need bridge networking on the guest so that my little mmorpg server can be running and serve my home networking. for the moment 3.0 is no go for me.

NAT networking in 3.0 seems to be working the same way as the older ver 2.2.2. from my experience NAT in both version are slower compare to bridge networking though

--mihlub
heckflosse230
Guest OSses: suse

Post by heckflosse230 »

I'm having the exact same issue.

I've lost two days of work because of this bull. Will have to get a laptop or something and install a real version of Linux.

ANY RESOLUTIONS????

I've uninstalled 3.0 and installed 2.2.4 but still the same problem.

What is going on?

Is VB intended for serious work or for hobbyists??

NOW, DHCP doesn't work with the VB bridged network (IT WORKED FINED BEFORE) so I set up the addresses manually and Windows doesn't report any errors but when I try to log into SUSE in VB I get the following error:

------------
Interface ('VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter') is not a Bridged Adapter interface (VERR_INTERNAL_ERROR);
------------

Any ideas??? Should I give up on VB??

Chris
subhajit_dasgupta
Guest OSses: Ubuntu Linux, Windows XP

Post by subhajit_dasgupta »

I have the exact same problem. I just uninstalled 3.0.0 and reverted back to 2.2.4, and that version (still) works like a charm.
heckflosse230
Guest OSses: suse

Post by heckflosse230 »

Though I should have installed 3.0 on a test box first aiaiaiai
unmannedleech
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 9.04 x86

Post by unmannedleech »

I ran into the same problem. After installing v3x tools. After a reboot from the 1st installation I reinstalled v3x tools, rebooted a gain. Now my bridged adapter is working.

Strange...

Host: Win 7 RC1 x64
Guest: Ubuntu 9.04 x86
mihlub

Post by mihlub »

after installing 3.0 and failed to get bridge networking to work last time i have been playing with a few options. Here is what i found out:

test1:
0. install 3.0 on the host in my case win7rc64bit
1. REBOOT THE HOST
2. start an old 2.2.2 ubuntu guest 9.04 networking is working fine. odd thing here is no vb3.0 tool is install in guest yet. it still has 2.2.2 vbtool. this success is a shortlive however i keep losing the connection and regaining after a reboot of the guest. after serveral reboot attempts.. enough is enough.
3. exit vb3.0 entirely, re-install 2.2.2, reboot the host and i am back to a working environment again.

test2:
0,after test1 above install vbtool3.0 into the ubuntu 9.04 guest..
1.reboot guest os... ubuntu login screen is all messedup unreadable gmd login screen.
2. repeat step one in test2 above same messedup screen. reboot guest os does not resolve login screen.

ALL I CAN SAY IS 3.0 IS AWESOME WITH FEATURES... BUT FULL CANS OF BUGS. WE NEED A PATCH ASAP.
Last edited by mihlub on 7. Jul 2009, 18:38, edited 1 time in total.
zerocoolx
Guest OSses: diverse

Post by zerocoolx »

I have now switched my host network connection from wlan to the ethernet interface (switched bridged network card in vbox settings, too) and had have no problems since the last three reboots.
fortran
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 9.04, Fedora 11

Post by fortran »

Same problem here. Host: Windows Vista, Guests: Various Linux (it doesn't matter because the vm's crash before ever try to boot)

When I installed Virtual Box 3.0.0 it worked fine for a while (with dual processors even), but then the networks couldn't be configured by DHCP no more. After that, I decided to reboot-reinstall and the virtual machines crashed on startup with the error known by everyone: "Failed to open/create internal network ... (VERR_SUPDRV_COMPONENT_NOT_FOUND)"

I've installed and uninstalled versions 3.0.0 and 2.2.4 and rebooted in all possible combinations and nothing worked.

The NAT networking works fine, but I need a bridged network to export a NFS filesystem from the guest :-s
mihlub

Post by mihlub »

all previous attempt to use 3.0 was on old 2.2.2 guest linux os. today i attempted to create new guest from scratch. installation of ubuntu9.04 64bit went fine until it tries to reboot the guest.. it hang on loading network component. bugs bugs bugs vb=virtual bugs.

cheer... :mrgreen:

-mihlub
mihlub

Post by mihlub »

today i checkout vb website and that there is an update to 3.0 as 3.0.2 it list some networking as fixes in the changelog. i download it immediately.
-installing over 2.2.2
- reboot host
- start an old 2.2.2 guest
- bridge networking works for several seconds, i was almost jump for joy.
- then it stop just like 3.0.0 minute later.

MORE PATCH PLEASE...

CHEER :mrgreen:
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Switch the virtual network adapter to the IntelPro/1000 T server. This should fix your problems.
You may need to get the drivers first and have them on the guest in case Windows does not have the drivers.
mihlub

Post by mihlub »

Perryg wrote:Switch the virtual network adapter to the IntelPro/1000 T server. This should fix your problems.
You may need to get the drivers first and have them on the guest in case Windows does not have the drivers.

perryg -- could you give a little how we are going to do it.

thanks.

--mihlub
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

The virtual network adapter is selected in the network settings in the guest settings. For some reason there have been a lot of people that have had to change from the PCNet III to PCNet II or one of the other adapters (Intel) to clear up network problems since 3.0.X came out.
mihlub

Post by mihlub »

perryg. thanks for your suggestion. i managed to change the guest? network card to the one you mention and bridge networking seems to work a little longer before it give up again. yes it did not stay up for long.